Card won't accept new sample rate?

Hello all,

Here's a strange problem that's affecting at least three different
machines running Debian, or in our case, the 64 Studio distro made up of
Debian packages:

This bug is not related to qjackctl, as first thought. Here are the
steps to reproduce it:

1. Start jack on the command line at 44100Hz using the alsa backend

2. Start any jack application and see the sample rate reported as 48000Hz

In fact it doesn't matter which rate you try to start jack at, the
sample rate is always reported as 48000Hz. This bug only happens with
the alsa backend, the oss and dummy backends work as normal.

The problem has been observed on three different AC97 soundcards,
running various kernels from 2.6.16 to 2.6.17. The alsa-base version is
1.0.11-5. However one machine with an AC97 on-board sound chipset,
running Debian unstable, does not show the problem. Also, all these
machines were working fine with ALSA and jack until recently.

Any clues would be greatly appreciated. A machine is available on-line
for testing if that is required - if you would like to log in to it,
please let me know and I'll send you the IP address and login.

Cheers!

Daniel