hda intel driver and no surround sound with nvidia mcp55 (chip ID RealTek 888)

Hi there,

I'm trying to get multichannel sound working on my nvidia nforce 590
based mobo that uses the intel hd audio (nvidia mcp55) chipset.  It
plays fine in two channels but any attempts to use -Dsurround51 or
-Dsurround40 fail.  Ie:

Playing WAVE 'space_battle.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate
44100 Hz, Channels 6
aplay: set_params:906: Channels count non available

I've been working on it long enough that I suspect it's a driver
limitation (but please correct me if I'm wrong!).  I've verified that
the card works in surround mode in Windows, so I know the hardware is fine.

Is there anything I can do to get my soundcard working?  Or if it's a
driver issue, is there anything I can do to help?

Thanks,

Tim.