struct snd_pcm_hardware_t values

Hi,

a half year ago I bought an au600 device
(http://alsa.opensrc.org/au600) and it's still not supported... I made
some progress uppon the driver but there are still a few issues left.

does anyone know about the snd_pcm_hardware_t struct?
I'm not sure what values I should fill in there...
My current driver supports a choppy kind of playback and capturing choppy audio.
If I use following values in the struct my box locks up when the audio
stream is over (uninitialized buffer for sure)
static snd_pcm_hardware_t snd_au600_hw = {
    .info = SNDRV_PCM_INFO_BLOCK_TRANSFER | SNDRV_PCM_INFO_MMAP |
SNDRV_PCM_INFO_INTERLEAVED | SNDRV_PCM_INFO_MMAP_VALID,
    .formats = SNDRV_PCM_FMTBIT_S16_LE,
    .rates = SNDRV_PCM_RATE_KNOT | SNDRV_PCM_RATE_CONTINUOUS,
    .rate_min = 9600,
    .rate_max = 9600,
    .channels_min = 1,
    .channels_max = 1,
    .buffer_bytes_max = (32*1024),
    .period_bytes_min = 64,
    .period_bytes_max = 2048,
    .periods_min = 1,
    .periods_max = 255,
};

If I set the values lower it doesn't crash anymore but afterwards the
stream sounds garbled.

The streamformat itself is PCM, 9600hz, 16Bit, mono, S16_LE (capturing
as well as playback)

Markus