Re: Control TLV extension - final proposal

On Wed, 28 Jun 2006, Takashi Iwai wrote:

> > Yes, but that's the way how user control elements works.
>
> No, the question is how to pass the TLV list.  Using the same ioctl
> for completely different purposes is confusing.

Note that writting new TLV value / contents might make perfect sense, so
it's not completely wrong.

> > The similar
> > situation is for the element value where no "back to user space callback"
> > exists so the written values cannot be verified.
>
> Sorry what do you mean?  The elements without tlv write support?
> In that case, you can know the TLV-WRITE ioctl is invalid for that
> element beforehand.

No, I mean standard snd_ctl_elem_write() ioctl. There is no way to verify
if passed value is ok (no communication with the user space - the creator
task might not even exist, simply blind memcpy).

> > If you want the "correct" behaviour, an another layer must be designed
> > and we may call these elements as user-defined version 2.
>
> Urgh, it's a bad strategy to assume the next version before implementing
> the first version.

Nope in my eyes, this implementation is far easier. Why bother with much
difficult stuff like the value update request queueing now?

> > Also, an app which manages the user TLV value can mark the access only
> > for read (although writting will be also possible).
>
> This sounds like a good workaround although still inconsistency remains
> (the access is allowed even though the flag bits not set). Also, if we
> do in this way, it should be a job of alsa-lib rather than apps.

Yes, alsa-lib might do a better abstraction like "set_init_tlv_value".

						Jaroslav

-----
Jaroslav Kysela <perex@xxxxxxx>
Linux Kernel Sound Maintainer