Re: Control TLV extension - final proposal

On Wed, 28 Jun 2006, Takashi Iwai wrote:

> At Wed, 28 Jun 2006 13:57:50 +0200 (CEST),
> Jaroslav Kysela wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > 	here is the final TLV update. The patch bellow will add:
> >
> > - TLV write support
> > - TLV callback mechanism for lowlevel drivers
> > - TLV change notification
> > - TLV ioctl support for user space control elements
>
> This implementation seems inconsistent.
>
> Suppose you inquire an attribute via TLV_WRITE.  From the apps POV, it
> doesn't matter whether the mixer element is user-defined or not.  When
> alsa-lib issues ioctl(TLV_WRITE) to a user-defined element, it
> replaces the TLV list with the inquiry TLV but cannot return any
> useful value.

Yes, but that's the way how user control elements works. The similar
situation is for the element value where no "back to user space callback"
exists so the written values cannot be verified. If you want the "correct"
behaviour, an another layer must be designed and we may call these
elements as user-defined version 2. Also, an app which manages the user
TLV value can mark the access only for read (although writting will be
also possible).

						Jaroslav

-----
Jaroslav Kysela <perex@xxxxxxx>