Re: CO responds to DOT findings on Flight 2816

Reflecting on this incident, I think the real cause is the low status =20=

and working conditions of pilots flying for regional and commuter =20
carriers.  If that had been a mainline CO aircraft (or any of the =20
major network carriers) I believe the captain would have called =20
airport ops and said, "I am the pilot in command of this aircraft and =20=

my passengers and I WILL BE DEPLANING. Have a jetway (or airstairs) =20
ready, because we're parking at Gate ___." And his company would have =20=

backed him up.

But I imagine that the ExpressJet captain and FO were worried that =20
they would have been fired or disciplined if they had done that.  In =20
some ways it's related to the root cause of the Colgan crash in Buffalo.

One of my former apartment mates had been a commuter pilot for Great =20
Lakes, and besides a salary of $18,000/year (eek!) the pilots were =20
treated not much better than burger-flippers at McDonalds.  He left =20
Great Lakes to be a paramedic, which he said was a *much* better job, =20=

even though he loved to fly.

--=20
Michael C. Berch
mcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On Aug 21, 2009, at 2:23 PM, Roger LaFrance wrote:
> CO responds to
> DOT findings on Flight 2816
> Larry
> today issued the following statement regarding Continental Express =20
> Flight 2816
> (operated by ExpressJet Airlines), which was subjected to a lengthy =20=

> ground delay
> following a weather diversion to Rochester (RST), Minn., on Aug. 8, =20=

> 2009.
> Responding
> to the findings of a U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) =20
> investigation that
> the ExpressJet crew was not at fault and that the local =20
> representative of Mesaba
> Airlines (a wholly-owned subsidiary of Delta Air Lines), improperly =20=

> refused the
> requests of the captain to let her passengers off the plane, Larry
> said, =93Continental takes responsibility for the care of its =20
> customers, whether
> they are on our regional partners=92 flights or our own. We are =20
> gratified that
> Secretary LaHood recognized the crew=92s efforts to resolve the =20
> situation.
> =93While
> the result for the customers was clearly unacceptable, it is evident =20=

> that the
> ExpressJet crew worked through the night to resolve the situation =20
> and was
> frustrated with Delta Connection=92s failure to provide reasonable =20
> assistance.
> =93We
> have processes in place to avoid these situations and those =20
> processes clearly
> broke down in this case. We are working to ensure that doesn't =20
> happen again,=94
> Larry said.
> In
> the statement issued by the DOT, LaHood said, =93The [Mesaba] =20
> representative
> incorrectly said that the airport was closed to passengers for =20
> security reasons,
> which led to this nightmare for those stuck on the plane.=94
> In
> addition, the manager of the Rochester Airport incorrectly stated in =20=

> several

> and that =93all decisions made to keep the passengers enplaned were
> made by the Continental Dispatch in MSP.=94
> The
> DOT statement also said the Aviation Enforcement Office is =20
> considering the
> appropriate action to take against Mesaba as it completes the =20
> investigation,
> which it expects to conclude within a few weeks.
> ExpressJet
> issued a separate statement saying, =93ExpressJet and Continental have =
=20
> a long
> standing relationship of cooperation with the Department of =20
> [...]

If you wish to unsubscribe from the AIRLINE List, please send an E-mail to:
"listserv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx".  Within the body of the text, only write the following:"SIGNOFF AIRLINE".