Re: It wasn't until after US Airways Flight 1549

> Subject: It wasn't until after US Airways Flight 1549
>
> It wasn't until after US Airways Flight 1549 had=0Alanded in the Hudson Riv=
> er, and passenger Karin Hill was stepping=0Athrough an emergency exit onto =
> the wing, that it hit her.=0A"I=0Athought, 'My coat! My purse!' " she recal=
> ls. They were both back at=0Aseat 18E, where she was sitting Jan. 15 when t=
> he jetliner hit birds,=0Adestroying its engines and forcing it to ditch in =
> the Hudson.=0AThen logic returned. "I can't get them," she thought. "I'm no=
> t going back there."=0AThe=0A150 passengers left their belongings behind fo=
> r the Hudson to claim as=0Athey scrambled onto life rafts and rescue boats =
> and the jet sank=0Abeneath 50 feet of dirty water.=0AHill,=0A24, a college =
> student from Boulder, Colo., was flying home with=0Aboyfriend Chris Rooney =
> after visiting friends and seeing the sights in=0ANew York City. She hurrie=
> d off the plane wearing blue jeans, a sweater=0Aand boots, leaving her purs=
> e, backpack and a coat in the cabin and a=0Asuitcase in the cargo compartme=
> nt.=0AHill and other passengers never dreamed they would see their possessi=
> ons again.=0ABut=0Athis month, Hill and other Flight 1549 passengers are st=
> arting to get=0Aspecial deliveries: FedEx boxes containing dried and cleane=
> d wallets,=0Ahandbags, coats, cameras, jewelry, clothing, important papers,=
>  even=0Atoothbrushes =E2=80=94 rescued from a watery grave and returned to =
> their owners.=0AIn=0Aa large, complex effort, US Airways has with the help =
> of a Texas-based=0Acompany spent four months recovering, sorting, cleaning =
> and restoring=0A36,000 passenger belongings pulled from the plane.=0AInside=
> =0AHill's FedEx box were her wallet and everything in it, a Swarovski=0Acry=
> stal bracelet Rooney gave her for Christmas, a digital camera and=0Asouveni=
> rs including a Playbill from the Broadway showWicked.=0ASeeing=0Aher posses=
> sions again "was bittersweet, because it brought back=0Amemories," she says=
> . Although the camera broke, "I never thought I'd=0Aget those pictures back=
> , and they were fine."=0AShe=0Awas stunned to see clear images of the Empir=
> e State Building, Ellis=0AIsland, Central Park and Tiffany, where she tried=
>  on engagement rings.=0AAnd there was a shot of her and Rooney smiling at t=
> he gate, waiting to board Flight 1549.=0AEverything was soaked =0ADays=0Aaf=
> ter the accident, US Airways sent every passenger a ticket refund and=0Aa $=
> 5,000 check for immediate expenses. Although much of the=0Amultimillion-dol=
> lar recovery job will be covered by US Airways'=0Ainsurance, US Airways was=
>  not legally required to do it.=0AWhen=0Aa fatal airline crash occurs, the =
> federal Aviation Disaster Family=0AAssistance Act requires airlines to retu=
> rn passenger possessions to=0Apassengers' families. Because no one died abo=
> ard Flight 1549, the law=0Adidn't apply.=0A"We did this because we care=0Af=
> [...]

Many passengers reported that, although the small change in their
wallets was returned,all the paper currency was gone.

If you wish to unsubscribe from the AIRLINE List, please send an E-mail to:
"listserv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx".  Within the body of the text, only write the following:"SIGNOFF AIRLINE".