San Antonio Airport director resigns

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanantonio/stories/2008/08/25/daily7.html

Monday, August 25, 2008
Airport director resigns to accept position at University Health System
San Antonio Business Journal - by Tamarind Phinisee

Aviation director Mark Webb has accepted a job at University Health System.
View Larger

Mark Webb has decided to leave his post as head of the San Antonio Internat=
ional Airport to accept a position with University Health System (UHS) and =
lead its $900 million capital program.

His new role at UHS will be as vice president of facilities development and=
 project management.

Webb says his decision to resign as aviation director for the City of San A=
ntonio had nothing to do with comments issued in July by now Dallas-based A=
T&T Inc., which indicated that San Antonio International Airport did not ha=
ve what it takes to meet the international travel needs of a large corporat=
ion.

Rather, Webb says, it simply was an offer he couldn=E2=80=99t refuse: a pos=
ition that incorporated public service with building things.

=E2=80=9CI was approached about it. This was one of those once in a lifetim=
e things. It=E2=80=99s a great opportunity and it=E2=80=99s one thing I did=
n=E2=80=99t think I could pass up,=E2=80=9D Webb says. =E2=80=9CIt=E2=80=99=
s a very exciting project at UHS and it will have a significant impact ... =
on the community.=E2=80=9D

Webb says a memo regarding his decision to leave was sent to the Mayor and =
the City Council last Friday.

=E2=80=9CIt indicated that an interim director will be named shortly (at th=
e airport) and that (the city) will do a national search for a replacement,=
=E2=80=9D he says.

Webb was appointed director of the city=E2=80=99s Aviation Department in Ju=
ne 2006. Previously, he had served as interim aviation director after the f=
ormer director, Kevin Dolliole, left in the spring of 2005 to work as direc=
tor of Lambert-St. Louis International Airport. (Webb served as interim avi=
ation director from November 2005 to June 2006).

As aviation director, Webb focused on the ongoing expansion and growth at t=
he airport =E2=80=94 with particular emphasis on its 10-year, $635 million =
capital improvement program. The program involves several building projects=
, including a new parking garage, two new terminals and new roadways.

With the new parking garage completed ahead of schedule and under budget, a=
nd construction of Terminal B and the roadway underway, Webb says he is con=
fident things will continue to move along smoothly in his absence.

=E2=80=9CWhile I regret not being at the airport to complete the expansion,=
 ... we=E2=80=99ve got a good team from executive staff to project managers=
 to contractors in place. They will finish,=E2=80=9D he says.

Webb=E2=80=99s career with the city began in 1994, when he came onboard as =
assistant director of the Asset Management Department, then was subsequentl=
y promoted through the ranks, landing in 2004 as director of the Contract S=
ervices Department, prior to his move to the Aviation Department.

During his 14-year tenure with the city, he says he developed some wonderfu=
l relationships with city staff and will miss his daily interaction with th=
ose individuals.

=E2=80=9CBut I am looking forward to this new challenge and to becoming a n=
ew part of the UHS team. I really am,=E2=80=9D he says.

Webb=E2=80=99s last day at the airport and with the city will be Friday, Se=
pt. 19. He will begin his duties at UHS on Monday, Sept. 22.

=0A=0A=0A

If you wish to unsubscribe from the AIRLINE List, please send an E-mail to:
"listserv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx".  Within the body of the text, only write the following:"SIGNOFF AIRLINE".