OT: Brett Favre

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=3D/20080806/P=
KR01/80806180/1058&referrer=3DNEWSFRONTCAROUSEL

August 6, 2008

It's over: Packers trade Favre to the Jets

By Pete Dougherty, Rob Demovsky and Tom Pelissero
pdougher@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The Brett Favre era in Green Bay is over. The Brett Favre era with the New =
York Jets is about to begin.

The Packers agreed late Wednesday night to send their legendary quarterback=
 to the Jets.

What the Packers received in return for Favre wasn=E2=80=99t immediately cl=
ear, though an NFL source told the Press-Gazette it was a draft choice, not=
 a player.

What is clear is that a 16-year relationship between the Packers and one of=
 their greatest players ended in a manner that would have seemed unfathomab=
le until recently =E2=80=94 with the Packers ending an extended public feud=
 by parting with the three-time NFL most valuable player.

Negotiations reached a boiling point on Wednesday with the Jets and the Tam=
pa Bay Buccaneers. Interviews with several sources indicated Tampa Bay was =
Favre=E2=80=99s preferred, and more likely, destination.

However, Favre apparently also was willing to play for the Jets, and the Pa=
ckers finalized an agreement to send him to New York a little before 11 p.m=
. Wednesday.

It was less than 12 hours after Favre left Green Bay on a chartered flight =
for his home in Hattiesburg, Miss., following two days of talks with Packer=
s coach Mike McCarthy and General Manager Ted Thompson that left both sides=
 agreed that they could not reunite.

Favre, 38, was waiting for the Packers to agree to a trade offer before mak=
ing a decision on whether he=E2=80=99d report. With the Bucs and Jets wanti=
ng to land Favre as soon as possible to get him onto the field, it appeared=
 a deal was likely to be finished no later than Thursday.

It happened sooner than that.

=E2=80=9CIt=E2=80=99s in everyone=E2=80=99s best interest to do it quicker =
than later,=E2=80=9D Favre told reporters when he arrived in Mississippi, b=
efore he knew of the trade. =E2=80=9CI won=E2=80=99t say we=E2=80=99re runn=
ing out of time, but I need to get into a camp somewhere.=E2=80=9D

The Packers appeared to be waiting for the best deal from the two teams tha=
t had shown interest in acquiring Favre since Thompson began serious trade =
inquiries last month.

The sources said the Jets were offering a third-round pick that could escal=
ate. SI.com=E2=80=99s Peter King said the escalator goes as high as a first=
-rounder depending on Favre=E2=80=99s and the team=E2=80=99s performance.

Tampa Bay was believed to be offering a later pick, also with performance a=
nd play-time escalators, though it was unclear how much the pick would impr=
ove.

Reports said the Packers wanted a player as well =E2=80=94 most likely a ba=
ckup quarterback, either Chris Simms or Brian Griese =E2=80=94 though the G=
reen Bay Press-Gazette could not confirm that.

Bucs coach Jon Gruden, a former Packers assistant, was believed to have a s=
trong interest in acquiring Favre. After the Bucs practiced Wednesday, he d=
idn=E2=80=99t deny having talked to the 18-year veteran and wouldn=E2=80=99=
t confirm or deny the club was seeking to acquire him.

=E2=80=9CWe are a good football team,=E2=80=9D Gruden said. =E2=80=9CWe=E2=
=80=99re trying to become a great one. We=E2=80=99ll do anything we can to =
get better. And if that involves looking at other players, by George, that=
=E2=80=99s our job. That=E2=80=99s our responsibility.=E2=80=9D

Favre=E2=80=99s trade talks got serious after extended meetings on Monday a=
nd Tuesday with McCarthy and Thompson failed to assuage the deep wounds Fav=
re felt from his bitter standoff with the Packers over the past two months.

Favre also was unwilling to do what it would have taken to leverage a trade=
 to his first choice, the Minnesota Vikings, so on Tuesday afternoon, he as=
ked his agent, Bus Cook, to =E2=80=9Cget the deal done to Tampa,=E2=80=9D a=
 source close to Favre said.

=E2=80=9CThe bottom line in all of this is playing football,=E2=80=9D Favre=
 said in Mississippi. =E2=80=9CI've always been committed to my job. I know=
 people say I should put the personal issues aside, and I agree, but I coul=
dn=E2=80=99t do that. On their part, they obviously had taken the stance at=
 some point during this offseason that they were going to move on, and that=
=E2=80=99s OK. They sort of changed that stance when I (first) got back up =
there. We sort of figured that would happen. Otherwise they would have rele=
ased me, but they didn=E2=80=99t want to do that, which I understand.

=E2=80=9CAs much history as I have in Green Bay and success, I really didn=
=E2=80=99t see the positives that could come out (of competing for the star=
ting job). It was always going to be a distraction. It was best that they h=
ad a clear-cut path they were going to go on. If I=E2=80=99m going to play,=
 I=E2=80=99ll try to play elsewhere and see what happens.=E2=80=9D

Favre hoped to facilitate the deal to Tampa Bay by giving up any hope of be=
ing traded to the Vikings, which Thompson placed off limits as bitter rival=
s of the Packers in the NFC North Division. The only shot Favre had at a de=
al to Minnesota was to report for the Packers' training camp practices, whe=
re his presence would have caused such a disturbance that Thompson might ha=
ve dealt him to the Vikings if that was the only team Favre would agree to =
join.

The Jets almost surely made sure Favre would play with them before making t=
he deal and likely included a clause that voids the trade if he doesn=E2=80=
=99t report, thus returning him to the Packers=E2=80=99 roster.

=E2=80=9CHe could have stayed (in Green Bay), he could have forced the issu=
e, he could have been a bad teammate,=E2=80=9D Cook told The Sporting News.=
 =E2=80=9CBut that=E2=80=99s not Brett. They asked if he was committed to p=
laying for them, but they are in no way committed to him. At no time during=
 this whole situation have they ever told Brett that they want him back. At=
 this point, it=E2=80=99s time to go separate ways.=E2=80=9D

Favre=E2=80=99s former teammates with the Packers appeared relieved the qua=
rterback=E2=80=99s standoff with the team had ended, at least concerning wh=
ether Favre might return to the team. The pressure of such a public dispute=
 between the team=E2=80=99s management and one of the best players of his e=
ra had filtered into the locker room.

=E2=80=9CI think you could just tell (Wednesday), there was more energy at =
practice,=E2=80=9D tackle Mark Tauscher said. =E2=80=9C(Tuesday=E2=80=99s) =
practice wasn=E2=80=99t great, and we=E2=80=99re not blaming anything, but =
I just think there was a lot of tension and the environment wasn=E2=80=99t =
great for it.=E2=80=9D

Cornerback Al Harris said: =E2=80=9CYou know what got kind of tiresome is t=
hat we don=E2=80=99t know, here in the locker room, what was going on, what=
=E2=80=99s going on. We kind of wanted to put the pressure on them to answe=
r these questions, because we don=E2=80=99t know. Whatever has happened has=
 happened. I still don=E2=80=99t know what=E2=80=99s going on.=E2=80=9D

Only four days ago, Favre arrived in Green Bay to cheers from a throng of f=
ans welcoming his return.

Perhaps as soon as this morning, Favre will board a plane for New York.

=0A=0A=0A

If you wish to unsubscribe from the AIRLINE List, please send an E-mail to:
"listserv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx".  Within the body of the text, only write the following:"SIGNOFF AIRLINE".