SFGate: Southwest Airlines CEO sees modest growth in 2009

=20
This article was sent to you by someone who found it on SFGate.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=3D/n/a/2008/06/18/financial/=
f075206D38.DTL
Wednesday, June 18, 2008 (AP)
Southwest Airlines CEO sees modest growth in 2009
By DAVID KOENIG, AP Business Writer

   (06-18) 07:52 PDT DALLAS, (AP) --
   Southwest Airlines Co. expects to grow modestly through next year but may
freeze its expansion plans if oil prices and the economy remain
challenging, the carrier's chief executive said Wednesday.
   Gary Kelly also said high fuel costs will force Southwest to continue
raising fares and have wiped out thoughts of acquisitions that looked
attractive just six months ago.
   Southwest, the only major U.S. carrier to earn a profit in the first
quarter, expects to increase capacity about 4 percent this year while
other airlines are cutting flights and laying off thousands of workers.
   But Kelly told investors at a conference in New York that plans for 2009
are not set. The Dallas-based airline still expects to add 14 new jets in
2009 but hasn't decided how many older planes to retire.
   "If we have to slow our growth to zero next year, we're obviously prepar=
ed
to do that," he said.
   Southwest has lower costs than other carriers, largely because it hedged
against rising fuel prices several years ago. Still, it increased fares
three times in April and May, and additional hikes are coming.
   "We know like everyone knows that we're going to have to move fares along
gradually and continuously to be able to overcome these dramatically
higher fuel costs," Kelly said.
   Southwest has veered from its old path of simply expanding to growing mo=
re
selectively — it is adding flights in Denver, where other carriers
are retreating, while culling less profitable routes. Kelly said the
company has room to grow, but probably not through acquisitions.
   "I thought we had a very solid business plan to overcome $90 crude oil,
where you would be open to taking that kind of risk," he said. "At $135, I
think we had better be right for us to seriously consider an acquisition
or any large expansion."
   Southwest's problems, however, appear far less dire than those of other
carriers.
   On Tuesday, Northwest Airlines Corp. said it would reduce capacity 3
percent to 4 percent later this year and cut an unspecified number of
jobs. The same day, Air Canada said it would eliminate up to 2,000 jobs
and trim capacity by 7 percent.
   AMR Corp.'s American Airlines, UAL Corp.'s United Airlines, Continental
Airlines Inc. and Delta Air Lines Inc. have announced even deeper capacity
cuts, most of which take effect in September.
   Southwest shares rose 1 cent to $14.31 in morning trading. -------------=