aeromockups and aviation enthusiasts

See the link below for the full text of a great article about aircraft =
mockups and aviation enthusiasts.

Excerpts:

"Airliner enthusiast" is a phrase that pops up frequently in this =
column, occasionally alternating with "airliner nut." The meaning is =
probably lost on most people. Airliner enthusiasts are connoisseurs of =
civil aviation. But the "hobby," for lack of a better term, has little =
to do with flying per se. What gets our pulse going is not the visceral =
thrill of flight, the slipping of surly bonds. Rather, it's the grand =
theater of air travel: the color and craziness of the world's airlines; =
their route structures and service cultures; the places they go. We're =
enamored of planes, of course, but we see them less as technical marvels =
than as romantic symbols. The A.E. beholds the 747 or Concorde much the =
way an architecture buff beholds the Chrysler Building or the cathedral =
at Chartres in France. And beyond any inherent beauty, the airplane is =
nothing without context -- the greater point of going somewhere."

"...in the eyes of most people, ours is a distinctly lowbrow hobby. It =
lacks the cachet of other, more refined infatuations (as I've written =
before, we won't be vindicated until the day Ken Burns makes a =
sepia-toned documentary about the 747), and we bear the stigma of a =
certain stereotype: nerdy, shy and decidedly unhip. Few modes of =
transport are more openly reviled nowadays than commercial flying, and =
skulking around airports with a camera or a pair of binoculars isn't =
going to win you much respect, or a date with that sexy agent over at =
the Virgin Atlantic counter. (On the contrary, it's liable to get you =
taken in for questioning.) This underscores all that is misunderstood =
about air travel, but we're stuck with it. Thus the A.E. keeps it quiet =
when among friends or family, usually out of embarrassment. We stay =
where it's safe -- in the closet."

Found at www.salon.com  in the "Ask the Pilot" column by Patrick Smith:

 =
http://www.salon.com/tech/col/smith/2007/04/27/askthepilot229/index.html

If you wish to unsubscribe from the AIRLINE List, please send an E-mail to:
"listserv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx".  Within the body of the text, only write the following:"SIGNOFF AIRLINE".