Skybus: Cheap, savvy and roomy

http://www.news-record.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070610/NEWSREC0101/70609013/1005/NEWSREC0101

Article published Jun 10, 2007

Skybus: Cheap, savvy and roomy

By Richard M. Barron, Staff Writer

COLUMBUS, Ohio ? Skybus flight attendants look like
rock 'n' roll roadies in their black T-shirts, black
pants and sneakers.

It's fitting because Skybus carries the personalities
you might find in a cantankerous rock band: squirmy
children, high-spirited young adults and veterans
enduring one more day on the road.

Skybus is grabbing this mix of bargain hunters and
casual travelers at Piedmont Triad International
Airport with cheap fares of $10 and up.

"We want to get people off the couch, out of the car
and fly with us," said Ken Gile , the airline's
president and chief operating officer , wearing a
casual shirt in the airline's modest headquarters near
Port Columbus International Airport.

The airline has its limits: All flights lead to its
home base in Columbus, and no flights are designed
specifically to connect to other cities.

But with creativity or an overnight stay, you could
fly from PTI to Columbus and hop another discount
flight to Oakland, Calif., or Portsmouth, N.H.

PTI desperately needs the passengers attracted by
these great prices. The number of passengers flying
out of the airport dropped by 28 percent for the first
four months of 2007 compared with the first four
months of 2006.

So Skybus offers a glimmer of hope.

At PTI, it's clear the airline is drawing various
passengers and more families who would not have been
there without Skybus.

Roger Dalton , for example, drove 45 minutes from
Martinsville, Va., to catch Tuesday's Skybus flight to
Columbus to pick up his daughter, Stacy Woody . She
just wrapped up her freshman year at Ohio State
University.

Dalton, 51 and on disability, is watching every dime,
so the $90 fare he paid is far better than the $300 he
paid to another airline to fly there last year. And if
the airline succeeds, he said, he might buy more
tickets.

"I have an aunt up in Toledo I haven't seen in years,"
he said, waiting for the flight. "It'd be nice for me
to get some tickets for me and my mother and go up to
see her."

A News & Record reporter flew to Columbus last Tuesday
and returned Wednesday. The flights cost $10 each ? a
$38 round trip with fees and taxes.

Skybus is not your ordinary airline.

Planes have no first-class seats. Passengers can pay
$10 for early boarding, or they can wait for the
all-aboard call.

Passengers can check two bags at $5 each or haul them
downstairs at PTI and across the tarmac to climb steps
to the plane.

The large Airbus A319 is a spacious, almost new plane.
It has tall, bright ceilings and large storage bins
above 156 leather seats.

On Tuesday, the airplane's nonreserved seating seemed
to make loading quicker, as passengers weren't
searching for specific seats and struggling with bins,
although the flight appeared to be only two-thirds
full.

Skybus keeps tight schedules so it can fly to 11
destinations daily with just four planes. The goal is
to turn a plane around in 25 minutes , Gile said.

A hitch in that schedule can bring cascading delays.

The flights to Columbus and back to Greensboro were
each delayed an hour because of mechanical trouble in
Bellingham, Wash., where the planes fly earlier in the
day.

Skybus is adding more destinations from Columbus, and
PTI travelers will be tempted to try to connect with
those flights, especially if they can be boarded in
the same evening that the PTI flight lands at 7:16.

Just be aware, Gile said, that the airline won't hold
flights for late passengers.

If you are significantly late from PTI, it's bon
voyage to the other plane.

Even the airline's inaugural flight to PTI was delayed
by three hours on May 22 .

"Safety is paramount to us, even if it's an inaugural
flight and all the newspapers are waiting for us,"
Gile said.

Entertainment on the flight is strictly self-provided.
There is no snappy video or headphone entertainment.

Hungry? Some may bristle at the fact that Skybus
doesn't offer even a free soda. But many full-price
airlines don't offer anything but a soda.

Ten dollars can buy you a cold sandwich lunch or a
warm dinner.

The quick flight from Greensboro to Columbus, with its
low price, is more than enough to pull Tim Check , of
Burlington, out of his car.

Check, 50 , recently accepted a job at Telesis
Technologies near Columbus, but his home and family
remain in Burlington .

"Normally I drive," he said at the gate. "Driving is
better because I can leave work whenever I want to."

But with gas prices up and the price of an airline
ticket to Columbus down, he's a convert to Skybus.

All it took was one flight, even a late one, for
Dalton to be sold. The late arrival was "a little
disgusting," he said, but "I've had worse."

"That's real great to be able to afford this," Dalton
said, "putting a child through school."

Last Christmas, he said, his daughter spent $400
flying home on vacation. "I'm hoping this year we can
fly her home for under $100."

Contact Richard M. Barron at 373-7371 or
dbarron@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Copyright © 2007
The News & Record and Landmark Communications, Inc.