San Jose - Airport seeking more routes

http://www.mercurynews.com/lifeandstyleheadlines/ci_6107231

Airport seeking more routes
By Michael Martinez, Mercury News
Article Launched: 06/10/2007 01:37:25 AM PDT

San Jose travelers love New York. And London, Maui,
Tokyo and Washington.

They just can't get to those destinations as
conveniently as they can flying from San Francisco.

But officials at Mineta San Jose International Airport
are hoping their customers will help them persuade
airlines to start offering more service to some of
their favorite cities.

This month, the airport is posting an online survey on
its Web site, www.flysanjose .com, asking fliers to
identify cities they would like to see offered as
non-stop destinations from San Jose. The survey also
asks why travelers prefer using San Jose and how they
rate their ability to reach desired destinations from
San Jose, among other questions.

"People don't have the selection and choices here"
that they have from San Francisco, said Ed Nelson, the
airport's director of air service development. "That's
one of the things we're hoping to find that I can
share with the airlines."

Although the airport has added 11 flights since March,
including Frontier Airlines' non-stop to Cabo San
Lucas, in recent years it has suffered a loss of major
routes to such cities as Tokyo, Paris, Taipei and
Vancouver. In May, it was unable to convince MAXjet
Airways, an all-business-class carrier, to begin a
route to London's Stansted Airport; the airline chose
Los Angeles instead.

Airport officials hope survey results will show where
South Bay travelers want to fly.

"If our fliers want to go to Bismarck or London, we
can find out," airport spokesman David Vossbrink said.
"We have some assumptions where people in our region
want to fly from San Jose, but this is an informal way
to add substance to that."

In the first two days of the survey, New York ranked
No. 1, followed by London, Maui and Washington.
JetBlue currently offers daily departures from San
Jose to New York-JFK, and United flies to
Washington-Dulles, but they lack the frequency of
flights that travelers get from San Francisco.

"If you go to New York, you have 19 different choices
from San Francisco," Nelson said. "We have two. There
are four airlines flying non-stop to New York from San
Francisco. We have one. You can fly at all different
times from San Francisco. We have two.

"Is their market 10 times bigger than ours? Absolutely
not."

To respond to the survey, go to www.flysanjose.com and
click on "Survey" on the upper-right corner of the
home page.

Contact Michael Martinez at mmartinez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
or (408)920-5503.