Forbes: The Little Airplane That Could

The Little Airplane That Could
Jon Bruner 05.07.07

Poor Pan Am. The iconic American airline collapsed in 1991 under the =

pressures of deregulation and high oil prices, resurfacing a few =

years later only to fail again. And now? It's sort of a Thomas the =

Tank Engine.

The brand, once an American emblem to legions of foreign travelers, =

was bought in 1998 for $25 million by a small New England railroad =

company called Guilford Transportation, owned mostly by aviation =

enthusiast Timothy Mellon. The company started a largely on-demand =

new airline, again called Pan Am, that flies from airports on the =

fringes of big cities, like those in New Haven, Conn. and Trenton, =

N.J. But most recently Guilford has repainted 260 boxcars, which haul =

paper and chemicals, with Pan Am's familiar blue-and-white logo. The =

company's new name: Pan Am Systems.

Robert Culliford, the company's senior vice president, insists the =

brand, bankruptcies and all, still resonates, reminding shippers that =

the railroad can send their freight anywhere in the country. =

Customers "love the logo and the way it looks on the boxcars," he =

says. ("This is like slapping 'Pan Am' on your kid's toy wagon," =

harrumphs Gary Singer, chief strategy officer at branding consultancy =

Interbrand.)

Guilford is so pleased with the brand's appeal that by this fall it's =

rolling out a new line of flight bags and apparel emblazoned with the =

Pan Am logo. Among the items are reproductions of the classic Pan Am =

flight bag that John F. Kennedy carried when he traveled overseas. =

The brand's mystique got a kick in 2002 when the film Catch Me If You =

Can showed a svelte Leonardo DiCaprio posing as a Pan Am pilot, =

surrounded by beautiful women.

Trains and baggage may be just the beginning of the brand's =

resurrection. Roland Moore, an aviation attorney in Miami, has put a =

group of folks together to explore licensing the name for a new =

airline operating internationally. He's optimistic that Pan Am's name =

recognition overseas remains bankable.

"You could fly a Pan Am airplane into Frankfurt Airport, and people =

would say, 'Oh my God, Pan Am is back!' It would be like the glory =

days all over again," he says. I think I can, I think I can =85

Back to Patent Pirates

The best slide auction on the net:
http://www.auctiontransportation.com/sites/psa188/

If you wish to unsubscribe from the AIRLINE List, please send an E-mail to:
"listserv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx".  Within the body of the text, only write the following:"SIGNOFF AIRLINE".