Jet bridge collapses, damages United plane

Jet bridge collapses, damages United plane=0ASTORY TOOLS=0AEmail this story=
 | Print =0AMORE STORIES=0ASturm creates firm to manage his properties =0AU=
nited to add 100 workers =0AUnited unions demand rewards =0AUnions rap Unit=
ed exec pay =0AFeds: DIA 'near-miss' shows system not fail-safe=0ABy Chris =
Walsh, Rocky Mountain News =0AMarch 30, 2007=0AOne of United Airlines' new =
jet bridges at Denver International Airport collapsed this afternoon onto t=
he wing of a plane that had just arrived from Boston. =0AThe jet bridge, wh=
ich passengers walk through when boarding and exiting aircraft, suffered a =
"major structural failure" as it was connecting to the rear door of a Unite=
d plane at Gate B22, a source said. =0AUnited officials said there were no =
reported injuries. The plane's scheduled flight this afternoon from Denver =
to LaGuardia International Airport in New York has been canceled, but DIA s=
aid the incident hasn't affected any other airport operations. =0AThe aircr=
aft involved was a Boeing 757 carrying 176 passengers and eight crew, Unite=
d said. =0A"We are currently in the process of moving the bridge and then m=
oving the aircraft and taking a look at the damage," said United spokeswoma=
n Megan McCarthy. =0AThe incident involves one of United's new fully automa=
ted bridges that allow passengers to use both the front and rear doors of a=
n airplane. =0AThe bridges essentially form a "Y" shape, with one arm conne=
cting to the front of the plane and the other branching out over the aircra=
ft's wing to the back door. The arm that hooks up to the rear of the aircra=
ft =97 which uses sensors to automatically connect to the door =97 apparent=
ly is the one that malfunctioned and crashed into the wing. =0APassengers t=
hen left the plane from the front arm of the bridge, United said. =0AA spok=
esman for the union that represents ground workers at United said the new b=
ridges have had minor mishaps in the past, sometimes scraping up against pl=
anes. =0A"We are very concerned that our members and passengers could be in=
 danger by the safety of these jet bridges," said Joe Tiberi, a spokesman f=
or the International Association of Machinists. "We're very concerned about=
 its reliability." =0AUnited said the bridges have had occasional problems =
lining up perfectly with the planes but that there hasn't been any malfunct=
ions that caused damage. =0AThe company, which began using the bridges in A=
ugust and now operates five at DIA, is testing the technology here as it de=
cides whether to roll it out on a broader basis. =0AOttawa, Ontario-based D=
ew Engineering and Development Ltd. developed the bridges. =0AMcCarthy said=
 she didn't yet know whether the United will temporarily discontinue using =
the other new bridges while it investigates the incident. =0A"I don't know =
status of the other ones at this time," she said.

If you wish to unsubscribe from the AIRLINE List, please send an E-mail to:
"listserv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx".  Within the body of the text, only write the following:"SIGNOFF AIRLINE".