For airport screeners, more training about Muslims

For airport screeners, more training about Muslims =0AAs pilgrims return fr=
om the hajj, the TSA gives its workers a refresher on how to treat Muslims =
at US security checkpoints. =0A=0ABy Alexandra Marks | Staff writer of The =
Christian Science Monitor =0ANEW YORK =0A =0ASay you're a security screener=
 at the airport. You notice a large group of people wearing white robes, sp=
eaking a strange language. The women have head scarves and the men long bea=
rds. They look nervous. One of them is holding a Koran. Another appears to =
be praying. What do you do?=0A =0AAccording to the Transportation Security =
Administration (TSA), simply assume they're devout Muslims returning from t=
he annual hajj in Mecca.=0A =0ADuring the next few weeks, as many as 20,000=
 American Muslims will be returning to the United States from their pilgrim=
age to Saudi Arabia. The TSA has ramped up cultural-awareness training for =
all 43,000 of its screeners. The goal: to remind screeners what to expect f=
rom devout Muslims and how to go about screening them so it's in concert wi=
th their religious beliefs.=0A =0AArab-American and Muslim-American leaders=
 are applauding the effort. But they say it's part of a much-needed larger =
cultural and political conversation about Islam and Arab culture that can h=
elp the nation as it heals from the aftereffects of 9/11.=0A =0A"Their effo=
rts are a modest but important beginning," says Jack Shaheen, professor eme=
ritus of mass communications at Southern Illinois University. "But until su=
ch time that we react to the vilification of and discrimination against Ara=
bs in the same way we react to the vilification of others like Jews, blacks=
, and Hispanics, I'm not going to go dancing in the streets."=0A =0AThe 9/1=
1 attacks ushered in a new era for the nation's Arabs and Muslims. Many of =
the almost 7 million who have lived in the country for years, if not genera=
tions, suddenly felt suspect simply because of their religion or the way th=
ey looked. A poll conducted last year by the Council on American-Islamic Re=
lations found that almost half of Americans have a negative view of Islam, =
even though 60 percent say they're not knowledgeable about it. More than 1 =
in 4 believes such statements as: "The Muslim religion teaches violence and=
 hatred."=0A =0AHeightened sensitivities at airports =0A =0AAnd it's at the=
 airports, with the intense focus on security, that many American Muslims a=
nd Arab-Americans say they are more keenly aware of those misperceptions.=
=0A =0A"After 9/11 things were bad, but they weren't as bad as they are now=
," says Rafat Arain, a dentist and mother of four from Brookfield, Wis.=0A =
=0ADr. Arain, who's lived in the US for 30 years, wears a head scarf known =
as the hijab. Every time she's flown in the past five years, she's been tak=
en aside for extra screening, whether she was traveling to Europe, Pakistan=
, or Saudi Arabia for the hajj. She believes, in part, that's because of he=
r head covering. Immediately after 9/11, she says, she understood the extra=
 scrutiny: The country had been traumatized. Now, she's simply come to expe=
ct it.=0A =0AA year ago, when she was at Chicago's O'Hare Airport, she real=
ized that time for one of her five daily prayers was running out. She went =
to a corner and quietly began to pray. A few minutes later, she noticed a s=
ecurity guard standing at her side.=0A =0A"He didn't say anything to me. I =
finished my prayer, then I said 'Hi' to him and just walked away," she says=
. "But I could tell the people around were scared of me, and that's not goo=
d for us or good for our children."=0A =0AIn its hajj training refresher, t=
he TSA is reminding officers that devout Muslims pray five times a day, and=
 to expect it. The TSA also maintains that it does not in any way target in=
dividuals based on their background or religious affiliation.=0A"Our model =
looks only at behavior and in a way is the antidote to racial profiling," s=
ays Christopher White, a TSA spokesman.=0A =0AHe also says the TSA and othe=
r law-enforcement agencies are working hard to ensure that no one's civil r=
ights are violated, which is why officials believed the hajj merited additi=
onal training.=0A =0A"We expect a large number of pilgrims, and the hajj tr=
aining involves providing our security officers reminders about how to scre=
en individuals with head coverings [and] our policies concerning the transp=
ort of holy water and other Muslim religious practices, like praying," says=
 Mr. White.=0A =0AThe Council on American-Islamic Relations applauds the sp=
ecial attention. It says it will be checking airports around the country du=
ring the next few weeks to ensure all goes smoothly.=0A =0AComplaints about=
 detentions =0A =0ABut at the same time, the civil rights organization says=
 it's seen an increase in reports about perceived discrimination against Mu=
slims, or people who look Muslim. Many of the complaints concern incidents =
such as individuals being routinely detained for several hours at the airpo=
rt and being asked intimate questions about their beliefs - whether they pr=
ay and at which mosque. "These are things that really aren't the business o=
f security personnel," says Ibrahim Hooper, spokesman for the Council on Am=
erican-Islamic Relations.=0A =0AMuslim-American leaders say their goal is t=
o reach out to all Americans so they can understand Islam as a religion of =
peace, respect for neighbors, and devotion to God.=0A =0A"We're afraid of w=
hat we don't understand, and these people look different from us. They have=
 different sounding names," says Nawar Shora, director of diversity and law=
-enforcement outreach at the American Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee in=
 Washington. "In the post-9/11 era, there's an absolute need for the averag=
e Joe and the average Jane to be able to look at their neighbor that looks =
like one of those brown people and know that different isn't necessarily ba=