Priceline vs. Hotwire

An acquaintance asked for my assistance today - He wanted to be at a
wedding tomorrow afternoon in Houston.

So we went to the web - Fort Wayne to Houston.  Leaving tomorrow morning
and returning Sunday.

None of the basic websites had any deals ($700+, round trip).

We hit Priceline.  After a few failed bids, we decided to end that
adventure.  Our last rejected bid was $275 fare + misc. charges = $330
or so.

On a whim, I tried Hotwire.  $259, including tax.  Round trip.

He didn't take the fare, as there's a probability that:

1. The itinerary may have caused him to arrive after the wedding time.
2. If #1 was true, he may have not have been able to fly stand-by to
arrive earlier on Friday.

Do note that Sunday's return flight is a moot point - it could have
departed IAH at any time.

My question is why the difference in fare?  Why did Priceline rejected a
fare that Hotwire had?  Does each company really have different seat
inventory?

I know from using both places - in my case - that the chance of
receiving a morning itinerary is about even with the chance of receiving
an afternoon or evening itinerary.

Comments?

Blaine Thompson
Fort Wayne, Indiana