SFGate: Overbooked flight 'reward': Bad hotel, useless vouchers

=20
This article was sent to you by someone who found it on SFGate.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=3D/c/a/2006/12/03/TRGN6MLDB8=
1.DTL
Sunday, December 3, 2006 (SF Chronicle)
Overbooked flight 'reward': Bad hotel, useless vouchers
Christopher Elliott

   Q: I recently flew from Philadelphia to Tampa, Fla., with my family on US
Airways. When we checked in, we found the flight overbooked by 13
passengers, and the airline needed volunteers to take a flight the next
morning. In exchange, they offered vouchers for flights anywhere in the
United States.
   I asked if we could use these vouchers to go out West during the holidays
and the agents at the desk said that if we called in advance, it wouldn't
be a problem. I mentioned to them that we'd had trouble securing award
tickets for that trip, but they told me these tickets weren't the same,
and that there were no blackout dates on them.
   So we volunteered to take the next flight. We were sent to a hotel in a
bad neighborhood, where we were afraid to leave the room to get something
to eat. The sheets on our bed were so dirty that we slept in our clothes.
   When we got home, I called US Airways to see if I could make flight
arrangements from Tampa to Vancouver in December. It turns out there was
no availability for voucher travel on those days.
   I feel that I have been duped and my family taken advantage of by an
airline that intentionally overbooked a flight. Can you help? -- James
Alver, Tampa

   A: If an airline representative told you that getting tickets to Vancouv=
er
wouldn't be a problem, but you're having a problem, then I would say
there's definitely a problem.
   Did US Airways intentionally overbook your flight? You bet. Most major
airlines do.
   Air carriers run sophisticated programs that manage their seat inventory.
These so-called "yield management" systems try to predict how many
ticketed passengers will actually show up for a flight. Sometimes they get
it wrong and allow more seats to be sold than exist on a plane.
   For an airline, it's a real balancing act. Sell too few seats and you're
unprofitable. Sell too many and you have to compensate bumped passengers
with plane tickets and hotel rooms.
   That would probably explain the substandard hotel, if not the semi-usele=
ss
vouchers. But it wouldn't account for the employee who promised you that
the vouchers were easy to redeem. The person who told you that you could
fly to Vancouver a few days before Christmas with these vouchers had to
have known better.
   You should have, too. What the US Airways agent told you was just too go=
od
to be true. And in travel, when you hear something that's too good to be
true, it probably is. You should have asked for details about the vouchers
before agreeing to anything. The terms and conditions of your vouchers are
clear. There are blackout dates and other significant restrictions. If you
had taken the time to read the terms, then you could have avoided that
unpleasant extra night in Philadelphia.
   I contacted US Airways on your behalf, and it took another look at your
case. A representative acknowledged that the terms of your voucher "were
not clearly communicated to you," and offered to swap your current
vouchers for coupons worth $200 -- redeemable for any flight.

   Christopher Elliott is the ombudsman for National Geographic Traveler
magazine. E-mail him at celliott@xxxxxxx, or troubleshoot your trip
through his Web site, www.csr.elliott.org. --------------------------------=
Copyright 2006 SF Chronicle