SFGate: US Airways Pilots Demand Fair Contracts

=20
This article was sent to you by someone who found it on SFGate.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=3D/n/a/2006/11/16/financial/=
f151435S91.DTL
Thursday, November 16, 2006 (AP)
US Airways Pilots Demand Fair Contracts
By AMANDA LEE MYERS, Associated Press Writer

   (11-16) 15:14 PST PHOENIX (AP) --

   US Airways pilots are demanding fair contracts before the airline moves =
acquire rival Delta Air Lines Inc.

   About 200 of the pilots belonging to the Air Line Pilots Association
picketed at Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport on Thursday, a day
after the company announced a hostile cash and stock bid valued at about
$8.7 billion for Atlanta-based Delta.

   US Airways pilots work under two contracts — one for pilots who ca=
me
from America West Airlines after it bought US Airways when it was in
bankruptcy protection in September 2005, and another for pilots who were
always at US Airways. Contract negotiations began shortly after the
airlines combined, and there are no deals in sight.

   US Airways and America West are still integrating their operations. For
instance, to date only 57 percent of America West planes have been painted
over with US Airways' logos, a spokesman said.

   At Thursday's informational picket, the solemn-faced pilots donned their
Navy blue uniforms and caps, walking in a circle and carrying signs that
read, "Pilots get nothing, management gets millions" and "Empty promises
for a single airline."

   "I'm picketing to defend my career, my profession and my family," said
pilot Tania Bziukiewicz. "While the company keeps us on these
bankruptcy-type wages, they're making multimillions of dollars in
compensation packages. That's taking advantage of employees and the
situation, and we're here to let them know that we're no longer going to
let them do that."

   US Airways Chairman and Chief Executive Doug Parker's base salary is
$550,000 a year plus stock options. In August, he sold more than 270,000
shares of company stock, netting Parker more than $9 million before taxes.

   Parker was not available for comment Thursday.

   Airline spokeswoman Andrea Rader said Parker had every right to cash in
those stock options.

   "A significant piece of his income is what we call at-risk income —
that's money that he may get or may not depending on how well the company
is performing," she said. "The company, as you can see, is performing
quite well since the merger, and so that's where that element of his
income comes from. He cashed in some of that, which he is absolutely
entitled to do."

   She said it's understandable some US Airways employees are upset about
Parker's stock options.

   "The careers that they signed on for are very different today than they
were 20 or 30 years ago," she said. "There's been a lot of disruption in
their pay scales and things. It's completely understandable that people
would look at people cashing stock options and say, 'Hey.'"

   She said the airline will agree to a single contract for all pilots, but
that it will just be a matter of time.

   "As you do contract negotiations, you start with the low-hanging fruit,
the stuff that you can reach agreement on quickly," she said. "We're
moving into some of the economic issues — wages, seniority scales.
But we're absolutely interested in getting to a timely agreement, as
well."

   Hundreds of other US Airways pilots also planned to picket at the
Charlotte Douglas International Airport in Charlotte, N.C.

   Prescott resident Lisa Harrs was at Sky Harbor on Thursday for a flight =
Chicago on a US Airways plane. She said she had no idea the airline's
pilots were dissatisfied. But she said that each pilot deserved a fair
contract.

   "That makes sense," she said. "If they're all part of the same entity,
then everyone should be treated equally."

   In October, US Airways' losses shrank to $78 million, or 88 cents per
share, from $99 million, or $5.74 per share, a year ago. Total revenue
climbed to $2.97 billion from $929 million last year.

   Shares of US Airways Group Inc. rose $1.11 to $60.61 in afternoon trading
Thursday on the New York Stock Exchange.

   ___

   On the Net:

   US Airways:

Copyright 2006 AP