AJC: Delta nets profit, will recall 1,000 flight attendants

From:
http://www.ajc.com/business/content/business/delta/stories/2006/11/09/1110bizdeltawrap.html?cxntnid=biz111006e

Delta nets profit, will recall 1,000 flight attendants
By RUSSELL GRANTHAM
Published on: 11/10/06

Delta Air Lines delivered a double dose of encouraging news Thursday,
saying it had a profitable quarter and announcing plans to call back to
work 1,000 idled flight attendants next year.

The Atlanta-based carrier will begin by recalling 500 flight attendants
in January. That move follows a recall of 200 in September.

Meanwhile, Delta's $52 million profit for the late summer quarter was
smaller than some rivals' financial gains. And the carrier benefited
from a $98 million gain due to a bankruptcy-related restructuring.
Without that one-time gain, it would have posted a $46 million loss.

Still, Delta finance chief Ed Bastian said the numbers are a world away
from the loss of $1.1 billion the airline posted in the year-earlier
quarter, just after it filed for bankruptcy protection.

Some of Delta's profit figures are still lower than those at American
Airlines and other big network rivals, but "we had the biggest hole to
dig out of, by a lot," Bastian said.

"When I think how much farther we had to go just to get above the
[break-even] line," he added, "we're absolutely on the right track."

During the quarter, American, United and Continental were profitable and
Northwest, also in Chapter 11, was profitable before counting various
bankruptcy-related charges. However, discount carriers AirTran Airways
and JetBlue lost money during the quarter.

The third quarter is typically one of the airline industry's strongest
periods because of heavy travel demand during the summer vacation months.

Out of bankruptcy by spring?

Bastian said Delta is on track to emerge from its Chapter 11
restructuring next spring, after eliminating thousands of jobs, cutting
employees' pay, shedding 123 aircraft and making over its network to
shift more flying from domestic to overseas routes it says are more
profitable.

Thursday, the nation's third-largest airline reversed course somewhat on
some of those cost-cutting measures, saying it needs to bring back more
workers to smooth out rough spots in its rapidly changing operations.

Besides the 500-employee recall in January, Delta expects to recall 200
more flight attendants later next spring and 300 more next fall. Most
will be based in its Atlanta hub or its growing New York hub.

"It's great news for Atlanta," said Paulette Corbin, Delta's senior vice
president in charge on inflight service. "We are recalling in just about
all areas of the company. This is indicative that our plan is working."

Delta is recalling the flight attendants because the carrier's 11,000
flight attendants ended up working more hours than anticipated this summer.

"It was good for our company. It was hard on our people," said Corbin.
She said flight attendants flew an average of 83 hours a month during
the summer rather than the 79-hour average the airline projected. She
said some flight attendants were running up against company duty hour
limits.

'We're rebounding'

Perry de Vlugt, a Delta flight attendant in Salt Lake City, said he's
happy to see that the airline is expanding again.

"We're rebounding," he said. "It's a sign of more growth after we've
gone through cutback after cutback after cutback."

He said most flight attendants had to work about three to five extra
days a month during the summer because of the staff shortage. But he was
relatively unaffected because he likes to work more than 100 hours per
month ? more than most flight attendants.

Corbin said the higher hours were partly the result of a larger
expansion of its international operations than expected.

Delta's efforts to catch up with other big network carriers that have
long relied on larger, relatively lucrative overseas networks helped
boost revenues during the quarter ended in September.

Revenue rose 8 percent to $4.7 billion from the year-earlier quarter.
Delta's unit revenues from its international operations rose more than
18 percent, while the same measure of U.S. fares rose a little over 3
percent.

Delta's bottom line for the quarter was complicated by accounting
related to its bankruptcy restructuring. While the carrier reported a
$52 million profit for the quarter, it included a $98 million gain
related to a revised estimate of cost savings from a big aircraft
lease-concession deal.

The airline said it had $2.8 billion in unrestricted cash at the end of
the quarter, down from $3 billion the month before.

In earlier monthly reports to the U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Delta had
reported a $69 million profit in the busy July travel period, but an $11
million loss in August.

In a similar report for the month of September, Delta said it lost $6
million.

Bastian said Delta will likely lose money in the fourth quarter, but
much less than in recent years.

"You'll see a huge improvement," he said.