Re walk ups to get a ticket hassles (at SFO)

First off, I today was at SFO and I wanted a flight to
LAX -I first went to American -to see about cost
(you see I was using travelers checks) they basically
told they couldnt sell me a ticket unless I first
called their reservation line to book a flight
(when I first just wanted to check their prices from
SFO-Lax *before I took their flights.. when I was
ALREEDY AT THE TICKETING AREA..
finally  got answer but the agent was rude..
so I decied not to give my business to American
so I remember Frontier just started service from SFO
to LAX and so I found their ticketing area, and they
were
very happy to help me (and cost was even cheaper
129.00
(and I had a good flight -fast too (it arrived
15 mintues early as well)
so I was wondering why American gave me such a hassle
when Frontier didnt.  as a walk up