Re: Leaving Early

Hey Shawn-

Glad you enjoyed your flight on Comair.  It is nice to hear of a good
experience rather than the usual complaints about our CRJs.

I can't find the thread that asked the question about leaving early but
I can tell you why it might be a regulatory issue and the policy at
Comair, which is detailed in our Ops Manual.  A flight can push back 10
minutes early without permission from dispatch.  Anything earlier than
that requires an amended dispatch release.  The primary reason for this
is that the legality of departure, including destination weather and the
need for
an alternate, are based on ETA of the flight on the day of operation
(not the AOG sked).   I have planed a full flight to the minute so as to
not need an alternate when the weather was OK and there was no real
possibility that the flight might divert.  In fact I have delayed a
flight for 25 minutes for the same reason so we didn't have to deny
boarding to any pax.

Secondary to legality is that we don't want to leave anybody behind.
The normal limit we use for an early departure is 20 minutes.  If an
unticketed  passenger hasn't shown up 20 prior the chance of them making
the flight is slim to none at most airports.  If there are ticketed pax
that are not accounted for we wait.  I usually plan lightly booked
flights back to the hub 20 early just to save the phone from call from
the crew and the paperwork.  The crews are just as keen to get back as
the pax are happy to arrive early.  BTW my early release is always
conditioned on all booked and listed non-rev pax being onboard.

If it is not preplanned the crew just has to call to get an amendment
for an early departure.  I can't remember a time that I had to say "No".

I do hope the FA gave you and the other passenger a real safety briefing
on your flight to CHS.

Cheers-

Tom    Lead Dispatcher     Comair  CVG