Re: FOXNEWS ALERT / Fuel Dumping

Michael C. Berch wrote:
> Fuel dumping usually has no effect on the ground. The fuel atomizes
> (breaks up into small particles) immediately upon release, and vaporizes
> (becomes a gas dissolved in the air) very quickly after that. It then
> disperses with wind currents.  Fuel dumping is required to be done at or
> above 2000 feet except in emergencies.

Plus, as we all learned from the JetBlue incident, the A320 family
doesn't have fuel dump capabilities.  FlightAware shows an in-flight
duration for FFT263 SNA-LAX of 14 minutes, so it wasn't flying around
for a while burning off fuel either.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/FFT263

My guess is that, for the relatively short SNA-DEN flight, especially
out of SNA's short runway, it's takeoff weight was below the A318's max
landing weight, so no need to burn off fuel.

--
David Mueller / SAN
dsm717@xxxxxxxxx