Re: Jetliner slides off runway at Midway Airport

Try this one, it was coming back as I was walking out the door.

  http://flightaware.com/live/flight/COA1126

Travel Pages <travelpages@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  The flighttrack currently at http://flightaware.com/live/flight/SWA1248 shows they were held for a bit outside MDW.

David Mueller wrote: KNSD-TV (NBC San Diego) just reported the story on their 6pm news, they
added that a mechanic told a Chicago radio station that the nose gear
collapsed and an engine was damaged.

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=local&id=3708676

Jetliner slides off runway at Midway Airport
WLS

December 8, 2005 - A Southwest Airlines flight from Baltimore to Chicago
slid off a runway at Midway International Airport and onto a nearby
street as it attempted to land amid heavy snow and wind, authorities
said Thursday.

Officers at Chicago Police Department headquarters said they could
provide no additional details. Police talking over squad radios said the
airplane was a 737 and that it apparently slid onto a nearby road,
Central Avenue at 55th Street.

The plane is reportedly Southwest Airlines flight No. 1248 en route from
Baltimore. It was due to land at Midway at 7:10 p.m.

At least 10 ambulances were called to the scene, but there were no
immediate reports of injuries. The plane reportedly came in contact with
one car.

ABC7 spoke with a Chicago Fire Department spokesperson Larry Langford
soon after the incident:

CFD: I am standing near the area of the aircraft. We have evacuated all
the people from the aircraft, more than 90 people on the Southwest jet.
They are being cared for and being sent to warming buses on the scene.
We are in the process of treating serious injuries on the ground. A
couple of people were in a vehicle and we are in the process of doing
extrication on people in the vehicle. No one on the aircraft appears to
be injured, and we're caring for them now.

ABC7: Larry, when the plane went off the runway and ended up at 55th and
Central, how many cars did it come in contact with?

CFD: From what I can see here, looks like one vehicle so far. I can't
get around the other side of the aircraft yet. I am still trying to get
some information for you, but I see the aircraft and the nose of the
plane is sitting on the sidewalk on the west side of Central, pretty
close to the intersection itself. One wing tip is still over the barrier
wall of the airport, so we are working on two people right now in the
vehicle.

ABC7: Larry, those 90 people who were on board the aircraft, and they
all got off safely and no injuries at all to the best of your knowledge?

CFD: No injuries, and they are evacuated and being cared for in warming
buses that are being lined up nearby.

ABC7: I can imagine the traffic will be a mess throughout the rest of
the evening.

CFD: Eighth District police are on the scene and taking care of traffic
being blocked at 55th and Cicero and surrounding intersections. As you
can probably see from the helicopter shots you may or may not have right
now, 55th Street will be shut down for some time. There will be a major
investigation as they deal with the situation.

ABC7: Larry, we were lucky there was no fire on the aircraft or in the
cars involved?

CFD: There has been no fires at all. We have a small fuel leak, which we
are taking care of. Nothing serious as far as the fuel leak is
concerned. And absolutely no fire has broken out here at all.

ABC7: Larry, I know you don't speak for the airport, but are you seeing
any airplanes landing now?

CFD: I don't see anything coming in or out of the airport. There is a
lot of airport emergency vehicles right here now. But doesn't look like
there's much going on at the airport other than what's happening right now.

Yahoo! Shopping

Roger & Amanda La France