Re: Federal air marshal shoots passenger on MIA jetway

There have been numerous hijackers, would-be hijackers, bank robbers,
extortionists, and others who announced they had a bomb, not because
they planned to set it off, but in order to coerce the behavior of
others (divert the plane, hand over money, etc.). Some of these
people actually had a bomb; others had fake bombs (flares wrapped in
duct tape, etc.); some were just bluffing.

This strategy is less common now, of course, since (as we see) if you
announce you have a bomb, you are much more likely to just be shot
forthwith rather than be negotiated with.

--
Michael C. Berch
mcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx