Re: Federal air marshal shoots passenger on MIA jetway

You're probably right that he could have been subdued, but FAM's are
trained that if they feel there might be a bomb, and the suspect reaches
inside a bag (and they lose sight of his hand), they are authorized to
"shoot for the head" or shoot to kill.  If they hesitate and he in fact
has the trigger for the bomb in the bag, then they and others might die.
Regardless of whether or not he had anything in his bag, their actions
were correct according to their training.  You might fault the training,
but not their actions, which were right on the mark.  In their line of
business, they can not hesitate or think about what they do.  They MUST
react according to their training or people die.

Richard