Re: outsourcing

There's no requirement that an FAA Approved and Licensed mechanic is
a US citizen or works for a US company.

(And if anything, many foreign countries adopt local standards that
match or exceed FAA standards.)

But this bizarre business escalates from there.

If an airline wishes to maintain FAA Category 1 service, and
essentially fly into the US to the limit of any country-to-country
treaty (like US/Canada's or US/UK's free skies agreement), it may not
even code share with airlines based on countries that don't maintain
Category 1 ratings by the FAA (i.e. their own country aviation
oversight meeting US standards.) This means that Air Canada
(domiciled in a sovereign country; i.e. Canada) cannot code-share
with say BWIA (domiciled in a separate sovereign country; i.e.
Trinidad and Tobago) if Air Canada wishes to fly to the USA as they
please.

There's nothing more egregious that the US' attitude than this. US
policy, in absence of any international agreement, imposing their
'standards' on sovereign nations and sovereign operating companies...
just because they fly to a US airport.

Matthew

---
http://www.redMac.ca - Your Macintosh homepage in Canada