Re: DC-3 longest sector?

Antoin Daltun <adaltun@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Exactly what I am looking for: max miles/hours for a flight in airline
>service rather than years of service with an airline.
>Antoin

   In pre-WWII days, KLM flew the Amsterdam to Batavia (now Jakarta) route
with DC-3s. In Batavia, a connection was provided to a KNILM DC-3 for those
wishing to continue to Australia.

   The Amsterdam-Batavia route most likely qualifies as the longest
scheduled route by DC-3/C-47, although obviously with multiple stops.
At the time, it was probably also the longest scheduled flight of any kind
flown by the same aeroplane and by the same crew. During night stops,
passengers and crew were accomodated in hotels en-route. Imperial Airways
served the London to Australia route, but used flying boats for the
over-water sectors and landplanes for the over-land sectors. so in fact
every airplane and crws was just shuttling backwards and forwards over
its own allocated sector.

                              Kees de Lezenne Coulander