Re: Jet Blue incident - foam?

As a guy who works in the ARFF business, here is  my 2 cents worth..
     The foam used by ARFF crews these days is called  AFFF (Aqueous Film
Forming Foam) and is used to suppress vapors from fuel (it's  the vapor that
actually burns). That is what the stuff  (AFFF) was  made for. It is mixed at a 3
or 6% mixture with  water, which means that it does not hang around for long
on pavement,  It would run off the runway much as rain water would, therefore
not providing  any protection. Remember also that those big "crash trucks" only
carry so much  agent, agent that might be needed for fire suppression and
rescue activities  after the a/c arrives.  If you use up all of the AFFF before
the guy  arrives, and then need the stuff, you'll have a big problem on your
hands..
     I have not heard of "foaming" a runway being done  in the United States
for decades. Just is not done anymore..
      Tom