UPS Airlines Presentation, June 29th at the Smithsonian Institution

Hello All:

I was privileged to be the guest speaker last evening
at the Washington Airline Society at the Smithsonian
Air and Space Museum. My topic was UPS Airlines.

My guest host, Robin Dunn, president, saw my article:
' The UPS Way' on Airliners.net in June 2004 and
invited me to make a more formal presentation to his
group. (About 40 people)

The presentation went well.  I printed (with
permission) several photographs from Airliners.net as
well as received many 'playing cards' from UPS' media
group in Louisville, KY that included black and white
fleet photos with the plane stat's on the reverse
side.

The questions were good and the company friendly.  I
spoke for about 40 minutes.  This group was the first
of any such kind that I knew of that met on a regular
basis to discuss the airline industry, mergers, and
what ever else that comes up that interests folks like
us.

Interestingly, just prior to speaking, I decided to
call home and check my voice mail, and found that
Delta - Comair, had decided to cancel my return flight
home due to the storms that had plagued the Northeast
last night.  One of the members suggested Amtrak.  As
it turns out, they had a 10 pm train heading back to
Boston and I had just enough cash in the bank to buy a
one-way home.
Delta had me booked on the 10 am flight the following
day.  I was cringing. I had visions of sleeping on
National's floor that evening, as I didn't have any
hotel money.  Thankfully, God made a different way
home for me.

Reagan National (now I can say the words.  When they
added the former presidents' name, it just didn't
sound right.) is a striking design airport. Wide
aisles, carpeted, lots of stores. It's also has an
easy connection to the city by using the city's Metro-
Blue Line to L'enfant Plaza.  Great city!
I had a short, but pleasant visit.  The Smithsonian
museum is second to none!  It's a must-see for any
aviation enthusiast.

The Washington Airline Society is presenting their own
airliners show next year.  Please visit this link for
more information:

Airliners International 2006

www.ai2006.com

The Washington Airline Society's link is:

http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Hangar/2366/was.html

Here is my story:

http://www.airliners.net/articles/read.main?id=66

The Smithsonian Air and Space Museum link:

www.nasm.si.edu

I'll be posting more reflections on my trip, Boston's
new Terminal A, my observations on Reagan National
Airport, the DC Metro, Amtrak, and more in the next
day or so.

Thanks for reading and enjoy the links!

Mike Burris
Cambridge, Mass

'Thought: While flying is faster, you see a lot more
of the world by train, even at night!'