Protesting Iranians removed from plane

SOURCE: San Jose Mercury News
http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/news/world/11104618.htm

Protesting Iranians removed from plane

CONSTANT BRAND

Associated Press

BRUSSELS, Belgium - Police on Friday said they'd removed a group of 56
unarmed passengers of Iranian origin encamped on a Lufthansa jetliner
who'd said they wouldn't leave until the United States and other nations
signed a pledge not to help Iran's "Islamic regime of mullahs."

Police spokeswoman Els Cleemput said some 90 officers were used to
remove the 56 protesters from the aircraft, which was moved away from
the terminal after negotiations failed to end the protest action.

A spokesman for the protesters earlier said they were on a hunger strike
and were prepared to die for their cause of overthrowing the Islamic
government in Tehran, but police said the Iranians were not on a fast
and had eaten on board the plane.

"We want the European countries, also the United States and Russia to
stop helping the Iranian regime," the group's spokesman, who identified
himself only as Ira, told The Associated Press in a call from the aircraft.

The standoff began after the Lufthansa jetliner arrived from Frankfurt,
Germany, at 3 p.m. Police said 56 of the 103 passengers refused to leave
the plane, declaring they were on a protest against "this Islamic regime
of mullahs."

"We want these leaders to stop supporting terrorist regimes any longer
... to get rid of this Islamic regime or any kind of radical brutal
religious movement from Iran," said Ira, who said he was an American
national and a psychiatrist from New York.

He said the protesters wanted the United States, the European Union and
Russia to sign a pledge to stop cooperating with the Iranian government.

"We are just sitting here we are not going to move out unless embassy
officials from the United States, English and others come to sign our
statement and guarantee us that if we go out of here they don't arrest
us," he said.

Ira, who said he was originally from Iran and was 60 years old, said the
protesters were trying to highlight their support for the late shah of
Iran and wanted to draw attention to Iran's problems.

"We are not terrorists, we are messengers of peace," Ira said, adding
that his group, which he called Anjoman-E Padeshahi Iran, wanted the
overthrow of Iran's government.

---

Associated Press reporter Paul Ames contributed to this report.