Jetsgo ceases to operate; passengers stranded

SOURCE: CBC News
http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2005/03/10/Jetsgo-050310.html

Jetsgo ceases to operate; passengers stranded

Last Updated Fri, 11 Mar 2005 00:32:58 EST
CBC News

  MONTREAL - Jetsgo, one of the country's upstart discount airlines,
announced just after midnight Thursday that it will stop all operations
immediately.

  Passengers are advised to make alternative travel arrangements as
there will be no aircraft or staff available. Travellers looking to
return from a trip must also book with other airlines.

"We deeply regret that this had to happen. The decision to cease
operations was only taken after difficult deliberation. We are very
concerned about our customers and the significant hardship that this
action causes. In the meantime, we encourage our passengers to contact
their travel agent or an alternative airline," said Michel Leblanc,
President of Jetsgo, in a statement.

  In a news release, the airline said it will be asking the Quebec
Superior Court to grant it bankruptcy protection.

  The release blamed "difficult market conditions" for its action.

  The airline, based out of Montreal, flew across the country. Although
it primarily flew between Canadian cities, Jetsgo also provided flights
to New York City, Las Vegas and destinations in Mexico and Florida.

  The company said it would keep the public informed of its
re-structuring through its website as well as on RSM Richter Inc.'s
website at www.rsmrichter.com. Further information may also be obtained
by calling RSM Richter: 1-800-246-1125.

  The company said clients who have paid for Jetsgo tickets should
contact the Canadian Transportation Agency: 1-888-222-2592.