Re: NYTimes.com: Promised Seat on Air Shuttle Is Perk of Past

My comments on this article:

"The era of the "extra section," as Delta called the jetliners that would be
rolled out to accommodate overflow crowds, has ended"
Reading this statement one would think an extra section is what only Delta
calls the extra section.  In reality, an extra section is an industry wide
term.

 "By these rules, this is no longer a shuttle," said Joe Brancatelli, a
longtime travel editor who runs Joesentme.com, a business-travel Web site.
"The shuttle is a walk-up product."
Maybe in operation but not in theory.  A shuttle is an operation that
consists of short routes, frequent flights, and a simple air fare structure.
As an example, Southwest offers a shuttle service between Oakland & Los
Angeles, and Dallas & Houston.

"I'm disappointed," said Charlie Rose, the public television talk-show host,
who is always running late for the shuttle. "Isn't that the nature of a
shuttle, that you can show up at the last minute and get a seat?"
It's not the airline's fault if you can't get your ass in gear and get to
the airport on time.  Do you expect them to have an extra section just
because you area  high-and-might public TV host?

"Senator Charles E. Schumer, the New York Democrat who said he was a regular
rider on both shuttles, said he would miss the luxury of the add-on flights.
He recalled being among as few as seven passengers on planes that departed
just 15 minutes after a regularly scheduled shuttle left with a full load.
"I wish they were continuing that second flight," Mr. Schumer said. "I'll
miss it, but the shuttle's still one of the most efficient, best things
going."
The extra sections need to be kept because the "honorable" senator may
actually have to wait an hour to catch a flight. (For those of you who don't
recognize it, this is sarcasm.)

David R
http://home.comcast.net/~damiross/books.html

1600&en=6c8358906471fafb&ei=5070

----------------- Advertisement --------------------------

<TABLE WIDTH="100%" BORDER="0" CELLPADDING="5" CELLSPACING="0"
BGCOLOR="#F8F5EC">
Pictures ------------\<br><br>

ONLY ONE COMEDY HAS BEEN NOMINATED FOR BEST PICTURE
SIDEWAYS has been nominated for 5 OSCARS including Best Picture, Best
Director, Best Screenplay, Best Supporting Actor and Best Supporting
Actress.  Critics across America agree... SIDEWAYS is the BEST PICTURE of
the year. SIDEWAYS stars Paul Giamatti, Thomas Haden Church, Sandra Oh and
Virginia Madsen. Now playing in theaters everywhere. Watch the trailer
at:<br><br>
<a
href="http://www.nytimes.com/adx/bin/adx_click.html?type=goto&page=www.nytim
es.com/yr/mo/day/nyregion&pos=Center1A&camp=foxsearch-emailtools03-nyt5&ad=c
enter1a-text&goto=http://www.foxsearchlight.com/sideways/index_nyt.html";>
http://www.foxsearchlight.com/sideways/index_nyt.html</a>

0

ABOUT THIS E-MAIL
This e-mail was sent to you by a friend through NYTimes.com's E-mail This
Article service.  For general information about NYTimes.com, write to
help@xxxxxxxxxxxx

NYTimes.com 500 Seventh Avenue New York, NY 10018

Copyright 2005 The New York Times Company