SFGate: Delta CEO defends fare structure overhaul, says more changes to come

=20
This article was sent to you by someone who found it on SFGate.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=3D/news/archive/2005/01/10/f=
inancial2132EST0378.DTL
Monday, January 10, 2005 (AP)
Delta CEO defends fare structure overhaul, says more changes to come
HARRY R. WEBER, AP Business Writer

   (01-10) 18:32 PST ATLANTA (AP) --
   The chief executive of Delta Air Lines Inc. said Monday the struggling
carrier's recent fare restructuring may not be perfect, but it was
important to win back the trust of passengers as the company tries to
compete with discount rivals.
   "We knew that we were going to make some mistakes, and we may have alrea=
dy
made some," CEO Gerald Grinstein told a packed Georgia Chamber of Commerce
gathering.
   In his usually blunt style, Grinstein said the nation's third-largest
airline will do whatever it takes to survive, and he noted Delta is not
over the hump yet.
   "I've told you a lot about the changes, there are going to be more,"
Grinstein said without elaborating.
   The speech comes amid more cuts at Atlanta-based Delta and the airline's
announcement last week that it planned to reduce its most expensive fares
by up to half, and eliminate Saturday stay-over requirements for cheaper
tickets.
   Within hours of Delta's announcement, Northwest and US Airways matched t=
he
changes in some markets where they compete with Delta. Continental and
United reacted similarly, while American Airlines mimicked Delta to a
larger degree.
   "Half of Wall Street says that we're the greatest geniuses that ever
walked," Grinstein told the 1,500 people gathered at the chamber's annual
meeting. "The other half says, `I've never seen such dumbos running an
airline before.' In this industry, they could both be right."
   Whichever side is right, Grinstein said Delta had to do something to try
to win back customers who have been siphoned away by the discount carriers
over the last several years.
   "What would happen if Home Depot charged extra for paint that wasn't used
on Saturday night?" Grinstein said. "On the other hand, that is exactly
what we were doing, which was an irritant."
   The fare structure overhaul also is part of Delta's strategy to recapture
business travelers.
   "We had lost the trust of our passengers," Grinstein said. "We had to ac=
t,
and it was clear we had to make some changes."
   Earlier Monday, Delta talked about the impact of previously announced
staffing cuts.
   In an internal memo, the airline said staffing cuts will mean service
changes for passengers on overseas flights.
   The staffing cuts will be on some of Delta's transoceanic flights. On the
767ER flights, which carry up to 285 passengers, there will be seven
flight attendants instead of eight. Transoceanic 777 flights, which have
268-passenger capacities, will carry nine flight attendants instead of 10.
However, Delta may add an extra attendant on full flights, the memo
states.
   Delta, which recently cut employee wages and is slashing up to 6,900 jobs
in a sweeping turnaround plan aimed at saving the airline, will begin the
cuts Jan. 31. The flight attendant cuts referenced in the memo are part of
the turnaround plan, which was announced in September after the company
posted a second quarter loss of almost $2 billion.
   The memo also states Delta will eliminate meals for flight crews beginni=
ng
April 1.

On the Net:
   Delta Air Lines: www.delta.com