Re: You Get What you Pay For

Pax per door limit.

There was a stink a few years ago when AC was looking at a new Airbus
model (either the A321 or a 340 variant. or was it the Tango 320s) and
the pax per door ratio was going to be at the Transport Canada limit
(likely the same as the US and European standards) BUT it was beyond an
agreed upon limit with the union. Not sure how they fixed it.

(There is another rule in Canada about pax per F/A that also has a
union contract corollary.)

--

I do recall doing a TPA-YYZ run on an old AC 747 at the end of March.
(Thanks to a nuance in the Canadian Medicare laws, these flights were

One of the forward left doors was not 100% and could not be fixed until
the plane was back in Toronto. AC offered to rebook pax seated around
the door on a flight about two hours later.

Whispers quickly spread through the blue-hair crowd that they weren't
going to sit folks around the door because there was a risk of being
*sucked out* in flight.

Funnily enough there were was a sufficient # of folks that volunteered
to give up their seat and take the later flight.

Of course, the real reason was that the door never could open in flight
(it was a plug type), but that the pax/door ratio need to be correct.

Matthew