US Airways Ticket Agents Union Authorizes Strike

US Airways Ticket Agents Union Authorizes Strike

Thursday November 11, 11:12 AM EST

NEW YORK (Dow Jones)--The union representing passener service agents at US Airways Group Inc. (UAIRQ) voted to authorize a strike if the union and airline cannot agree on new contract terms.

The Communication Workers of America local chapter in North Carolina continues to negotiate with management at the bankrupt airline, and local president Becky Gerald said the sides are making progress.

But if the company asks the bankruptcy court to abrogate the contract, and the judge agrees, Gerald said the union, which represents 1,500 service agents, would be legally allowed to strike. The vote by the union to athorize the strike would give union leaders the authority to do so.

"We are going to allow ourselves some protection in case the company goes forward and abrogates the contract," Gerald said.

US Airways officials weren't immediately available to comment.

US Airways said in a statement it aims to reach consensual agreements with work groups. But the airline will ask the court to abrogate contracts if necessary.

"Our consistent goal has been to reach consensual agreements with all labor groups. That is not to say that both the company and the employees will not face difficult choices," the airline said.

"Should we need to secure permanent Section 1113 relief from the court, the Railway Labor Act still applies and the company and the union are obligated to continue to negotiate and there is no immediate right to strike," the airline said.

The Railway Labor Act outlines the procedure for a legal strike, assuming both sides are still bound by a contract. If one or both sides declare an impasse in negotiations, a mediator with the government's National Mediation Board would step in and mediate discussions. If no agreement is reached, the sides go in to a cooling off period, after which the employees could legally strike.

The union said 86% of workers voted to authorize a strike.

Meanwhile, negotiations continue, and Union President Gerald said some progress is being made. She said union leaders are putting together a counter proposal to present to management Thursday.

Gerald said union members are frustrated by several rounds of wage cuts. The most recent wage cut, authorized by the bankruptcy judge, temporarily cut employee salaries 21%. Gerald said that wage cut put the highest-earning service agents at $16.09 an hour.

The airline is also asking for cuts in retirement benefits and work rules, the union said.

But Gerald said the main sticking point in negotiations is US Airways' desire to outsource a portion of the service agent work. "We can work a little bit on the wage, but if they want to do that ... no way - we just can't do that," she said.

The strike authorization comes at a time when US Airways has said more employees than usual have been calling in sick. The higher-than-average level of sick calls contributed to delays in Philadelphia last week.

Roger
EWROPS