Citizenship Check Rule Creates Confusion

Fan of rules by TSA that's enabling me to teach flying in my aircraft, but
not allowing me to get instructions in it.. Gotta love it..

BAHA

CITIZENSHIP CHECK RULE CREATES CONFUSION
As Transportation Security Administration (TSA) chief David M. Stone
learned directly last week from AOPA members during AOPA Expo, the new
citizenship check rule has stirred up a firestorm of frustration and
confusion within the general aviation community. Record numbers of
pilots and flight instructors are telling AOPA that they are upset that
there was no advance warning or education on the rule that requires pilots
to verify citizenship with instructors before they train for additional
ratings or certificates. Non-U.S. citizens are also required to be
screened by the TSA. "This entire action is the most ill-conceived,
bungled, incompetent travesty of justice that I have encountered in
all my many years in aviation," said one pilot. In addition, instructors
are complaining that they are not trained in security and should not
be put in the position of verifying citizenship documents. AOPA has
also heard from many of the 82,452 pilots who are resident aliens. They
are saying that the TSA's new process requiring them to submit to
fingerprinting, background checks, and having their photos taken is
redundant because resident aliens have already received extensive
immigration and homeland security screening. "We are taking these concerns
directly to the top of the TSA and making sure our friends in Congress
weigh in at the agency," said AOPA President Phil Boyer. "This rule must
be changed." For more information on the specifics of the rule, see
AOPA's regulatory brief
( http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/regulatory/regtsa.html )