Pinnacle CRJ goes down

God bless the souls of two pilots :(

Jefferson City, Mo. (AP) A regional jet with no passengers went down
Thursday night in a residential area of eastern Jefferson City, authorities
said.

Jefferson City police Capt. Michael Smith said only the pilot and co-pilot
were aboard the CRJ2, a two-engine regional jet from 2000 that seats up to
50 people. The plane was operated by Memphis-based Pinnacle Airlines, a
regional carrier affiliated with Northwest Airlines of Eagan, Minn.,
Northwest spokesman Kurt Ebenhoch said.

There was no immediate information about injuries, either to anyone in the
plane or on the ground in the neighborhood just north of U.S. 50 a few miles
east of downtown. The plane damaged a building, but Smith said early Friday
morning that the structure was not believed to be a house.

"As of yet, we have recovered no bodies," Smith said.

Neither major hospital in the city reported receiving victims from the
crash.

Smith said the plane was apparently experiencing engine problems when it
went down after 10 p.m.

"One aircraft engine was along the road. There was some debris in a tree,
and a burned area," Smith said. "You could still smell the fuel."

Smith said the plane had left from Little Rock, Ark., and was heading to
Minneapolis-St. Paul.

"We have a large amount of debris from the aircraft," Smith said

The pilot and co-pilot were returning the plane to Minneapolis when they
tried make an emergency landing at an airport near Jefferson City, Ebenhoch
said.

Police evacuated a roughly three-block area near the crash site for about an
hour. The Red Cross set up a shelter for evacuees, but no one used it
volunteer Don Otto said.

The National Transportation Safety Board and Pinnacle were sending people to
the crash site.

John Baysinger told the News Tribune in Jefferson City that the plane
crashed in his back yard.

"When I looked outside the window, the whole back of my house was on fire,"
he said.

Marc Powers, 35, was about eight houses down from the crash site.

"There was a loud crash and that was followed by numerous pops, like someone
was discharging a firearm," said Powers, who went to investigate and saw
that the plane's fuselage had crumpled or had split apart from its cockpit.

Lesley Ammikus was sitting on the deck of her apartment when the plane
approached her neighborhood.

"I saw it right at the trees. I thought, `That's way too loud and too low,'
and it just hit," Ammikus said. "It went boom when it hit."

Amanda Clemons, 24, said she heard the plane crash and could see the site
from her Jefferson City apartment.

"I felt the apartment shake. I thought it was thunder at first, and then
maybe an earthquake," Clemons, who is a senior nursing student at Lincoln
University, said in a telephone interview.