From: Alireza Alivandivafa [mailto:DEmocrat2n@xxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, October 13, 2004 11:53 AM
To: AIRLINE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: AIRCRAFT PARKING LOTS...

I am not sure about MHV having been a mil base as it is quite close to
Edwards, but So. Cal. Logistics Airport (VCV) was an AFB at one time so it
is
possible.  MHV is actually a bit more of a bone yard, where planes are
retired
(though they are often bought by another carrier) while VCV tends to be (at
least
for UA) shorter term storage.  Pinal Airpark in Marana AZ (MZJ) is probably
the
most famous of the bone yards, as it is where a great deal of carriers from
all over the world park planes, and has a wrecking facility.  Davis Monthan
AFB
near Tucson is another well known desert vacation for aircraft LAS is also
used, surprisingly, for parking at times, and not always short term (The UA
DC-10 that spent a long time there comes to mind).  They park down on the GA
ramp
and you can see it really well from the MGM Grand

In a message dated 10/13/2004 10:42:25 AM Central Standard Time,