Re: SFGate: United Airlines announces domestic service cuts, fleet reduction

--Apple-Mail-3-686386228
        delsp=yes;
        format=flowed

Anyone have details on what these are?

Everyone is always in a hurry to talk about the new routes, but seem to
hide the schedule reductions!

Matthew

On 6-Oct-04, at 3:16 PM, Bill Hough wrote:

> =20
> This article was sent to you by someone who found it on SFGate.
> The original article can be found on SFGate.com here:
> http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=3D/news/archive/2004/
> 10/06/f=
> inancial0844EDT0030.DTL
> Wednesday, October 6, 2004 (AP)
> United Airlines announces domestic service cuts, fleet reduction
> HERBERT G. McCANN, AP Business Writer
>

>    (10-06) 06:20 PDT CHICAGO (AP) --
>    As part of its bid to emerge from bankruptcy, United Airlines will
> slash
> its number of domestic flights and reduce the size of its fleet while
> increasing its more profitable international schedule, officials said
> Wednesday.
>    "Fundamental changes in our industry, including ongoing high fuel
> costs,
> intense pricing pressure and continuing overcapacity, demand that we
> take
> aggressive steps now," said Glenn Tilton, chief executive of United's
> parent, UAL Corp.
>    The airline said that by March 2005, it will increase the number of
> international flights by 14 percent and reduce its domestic flight
> schedule by 12 percent, shifting some of them to United Express.
>    Despite slashing labor expenses last year by more than $2.5 billion
> annually, United seeks more than $1 billion in additional cutbacks and
> wants to dump pensions in order to attract financing to get out of
> bankruptcy -- a restructuring now in its 23rd month.
>    Like other major U.S. airlines, the Elk Grove Village, Ill.-based
> carrier
> is struggling amid an unprecedented slump that has worsened this year
> because of soaring jet-fuel prices and deepening discount competition.
>    The airline said it plans to reduce the fleet to 455 aircraft, 68
> fewer
> than it flew in August. The airline has reduced its fleet by 112
> aircraft,
> or nearly 20 percent, since 2002.
>    Tilton said that despite the reduction in domestic flights, United
> will
> continue to operate its five hubs in Chicago, Denver, Washington
> Dulles,
> San Francisco and Los Angeles.
>    He said the airline is on pace to achieve $5 billion in "annual
> costs
> improvements by 2005."

> Copyright 2004 AP

--Apple-Mail-3-686386228

Anyone have details on what these are?

Everyone is always in a hurry to talk about the new routes, but seem
to hide the schedule reductions!

Matthew

 <bold> </bold>

[...]

</excerpt>