NYTimes.com Article: How I Ordered a Pilot to Land

The article below from NYTimes.com
has been sent to you by psa188@xxxxxxxxx

 I HEART HUCKABEES - OPENING IN SELECT CITIES OCTOBER 1

 From David O. Russell, writer and director of THREE KINGS
 and FLIRTING WITH DISASTER comes an existential comedy
 starring Dustin Hoffman, Isabelle Hupert, Jude Law, Jason
 Schwartzman, Lily Tomlin, Mark Wahlberg and Naomi Watts.
 Watch the trailer now at:

 http://www.foxsearchlight.com/huckabees/index_nyt.html

How I Ordered a Pilot to Land

September 28, 2004
 By JEFF M. FEINBERG

On a flight from London to New York, a flight attendant
pleaded for anyone with medical training to help assist a
sick passenger. After several minutes passed and no one
volunteered, I told her I wasn't a doctor, but had
emergency medical technician training and offered to help.

She led me to a young woman in the rear of the aircraft
who was sobbing and bright red from fever, a result of
ingesting a dangerous combination of wine and several
500-milligram capsules of cold medicine that she had
removed from their protective coating in a misguided
attempt to alleviate flu-like symptoms.

With the woman's vital signs weak and her condition
deteriorating, I was asked to go to the cockpit to talk by
radio with the airline's chief medical officer in the
United States. I sat on the jump seat, put on the headset
and explained the situation to him.

"What do you think we should do?" the chief medical officer
asked me to my surprise.

"I'm not a doctor," I said.

"Well, what would you do?" he asked again.

"I'd get her
to a hospital as soon as possible and have her stomach
pumped," I said.

"O.K.,'' he replied. "Tell the captain to land the plane."

Me, order the captain to land? I was just a passenger. But
I did as I was told, and the pilot complied. He instructed
the first officer to identify nearby airports and gauge
their quality as landing sites. Within seconds, "Halifax"
appeared on the computer screen, the closest location by
far, but among the least desirable for landing a jumbo jet.

"What does a 'D' rating mean?" I asked the pilot. It meant
that the runway was really short, he said, or nonexistent.

Wonderful.

The pilot informed the passengers of the
imminent emergency landing and gave strict instructions to
buckle up, as it was going to be a "little rough." I
checked on the woman again, then returned to the cockpit. I
buckled my seat belt, and the pilot leaned over and
attached a shoulder strap to me, pinning me against the
wall.

With good reason. When the plane hit the ground and the
pilot slammed on the brakes, I thought my spleen was going
to come out of my mouth. I can only imagine what the
passengers in the back of the plane were feeling. The plane
stopped at the tip of the runway, with water just a few
feet ahead of its nose.

An ambulance and a member of the Royal Canadian Mounted
Police in full uniform and on horseback greeted the plane,
and I escorted the passenger off the aircraft and into the
care of a Canadian E.M.T. Back on board, the pilot thanked
me and upgraded me to first class, not just for that flight
but any time in the coming year.

As the plane was being refueled, a sky marshal tapped my
shoulder and told me another passenger on board was
"feeling uncomfortable" and asking for my assistance.
"You've got to be kidding - I'm not a doctor," I said,
exasperated.

"The problem is, she's on board without protection and
she's a little nervous," the sky marshal pleaded. I had no
idea what he was talking about, but I got up and followed
him back to business class. Sitting there was Chelsea
Clinton, who had apparently flown without Secret Service
agents because there were sky marshals on the plane. She
wanted to know what had happened with the sick passenger. I
told her.

After a hair-raising takeoff and a meal, the plane finally
touched down at Kennedy Airport. Three days later, I was
back at J.F.K. for another trip to London. As soon as I
gave my name, an attendant approached me, took my bags, led
me through security and into the first-class lounge, where
I waited to board. My seat was 1A.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/09/28/business/28flier.html?ex=1097383252&ei=1&en=48f2ebc60dbe41cb