NYTimes.com Article: US Airways' Plan Should Have Been Put to a Vote, Leader of Pilots Says

The article below from NYTimes.com
has been sent to you by psa188@xxxxxxxxx

 I HEART HUCKABEES - OPENING IN SELECT CITIES OCTOBER 1

 From David O. Russell, writer and director of THREE KINGS
 and FLIRTING WITH DISASTER comes an existential comedy
 starring Dustin Hoffman, Isabelle Hupert, Jude Law, Jason
 Schwartzman, Lily Tomlin, Mark Wahlberg and Naomi Watts.
 Watch the trailer now at:

 http://www.foxsearchlight.com/huckabees/index_nyt.html

US Airways' Plan Should Have Been Put to a Vote, Leader of Pilots Says

September 9, 2004
 By MICHELINE MAYNARD

The chairman of the pilots' union at US Airways said
yesterday that a proposal to cut $295 million from pilots'
wages and benefits might not have saved the airline from
bankruptcy but should have been put to a vote anyway.

In a broadcast on the pilots' Web site, Bill Pollock said
the union would now be "at the mercy of the courts" if US
Airways follows through on its threat to seek Chapter 11
protection.

His comments came a day after rebel pilots on the union's
master executive council blocked other union leaders from
sending the company's last offer to its 3,000 pilots. No
negotiations are scheduled.

US Airways has been trying to persuade its unions to grant
$800 million in concessions so it can avoid a bankruptcy
filing, which would be its second in two years.

But unions, which gave the airline two sets of cuts worth
$1.9 billion before it emerged from bankruptcy in April
2003, have resisted. Without the cuts, the airline has said
it will most likely seek court protection, a move some
analysts speculate could happen as early as Sunday.

The airline faces a $110 million pension contribution on
Wednesday, and analysts speculated it might choose to file
Chapter 11 before then to conserve its cash. Virtually all
of the airline's assets are pledged as collateral to secure
government loan guarantees that formed the basis of its
restructuring.

Yesterday, Standard & Poor's cut US Airways' credit rating
for the fourth time this year, and the second time in two
weeks, saying the chances of a bankruptcy had increased
when the company's offer to the pilots was blocked.

It now rates US Airways and its parent, US Airways Group,
at CCC-minus, with a negative outlook, meaning another
downgrade is possible.

The pilots' support is crucial for US Airways to persuade
other unions to go along with wage and benefit concessions.
But pilot leaders from Philadelphia and Pittsburgh objected
to the airline's bid to cut contributions to pilots'
pensions and cut wages by 21 percent a year.

Yesterday, Mr. Pollock said the airline's 3,000 pilots
should have sent the proposal, "as objectionable as it
was," for a vote.

"Even if we would have ratified an agreement with the
company, it would have not been any guarantee that we would
have avoided a Chapter 11 bankruptcy filing," Mr. Pollock
said.

But should the airline seek bankruptcy, "a deal with their
most powerful union would have provided an important
stabilizing effect during court proceedings and would have
shown the financial community and the government that they
had a plan that could succeed," he said.

Mr. Pollock continued, "Without an agreement, we may be at
the mercy of the court and third parties who may take a dim
view of our inability to close a cost savings agreement
with management when we had the chance."

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/09/09/business/09fly.html?ex=1095736177&ei=1&en=846995e74e245ad9