Re: Oakland Airport awarded $13m for improvements

Commercial airliners used the GA runways (North Field) when the South
Field runway was being repaved in August 2001.  People in Hayward and
San Leandro (towns in the South Field approach path) were warned that
they were going to have 737s and MD80s (etc.) overhead and not to
panic. They scheduled it for the summer, when school was not in
session. They also upgraded a taxiway parallel to the South Field
runway to use for departures.

I don't know what they did about the big jets, though - OAK gets
several FedEx DC10/MD10/MD11s a day, plus charter 747s.  Can you land a
DC10 or 747 on a 6,200 foot runway?

http://www2.oaklandairport.com/press_releases_detail.cfm?ID=64

--
Michael C. Berch