SFGate: ATA downplays talk about possible Chicago exit

=20
This article was sent to you by someone who found it on SFGate.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=3D/news/archive/2004/08/25/f=
inancial1256EDT0111.DTL
Wednesday, August 25, 2004 (AP)
ATA downplays talk about possible Chicago exit

   (08-25) 13:57 PDT INDIANAPOLIS (AP) --
   Financially struggling ATA Airlines is downplaying talk that it might pu=
ll
out of Chicago's Midway Airport.
   The Indianapolis-based low-fare airline is the airport's largest carrier,
and ATA Chairman George Mikelsons said the airline plans to stay.
   "As indicated in our recent SEC filing, ATA is busy restructuring its
finances," he said in a statement issued by the airline's public relations
firm. "While engaged in that effort, we are not abandoning Chicago Midway,
nor are we canceling any flights."
   ATA has 14 gates at Midway, with flights from the airport accounting for
two-thirds of ATA's scheduled passenger traffic.
   However, last week ATA, which has been hurt by rising jet fuel prices and
high aircraft leases, reported that it had lost $90.7 million in the first
six months of the year. ATA has restructured debt, and its 1,100 pilots
have agreed to consider more financial concessions after agreeing last
month to a package that will save about $43 million over two years.
   The Chicago Tribune reported Wednesday that a person familiar with the
situation, which it did not name, said ATA had received overtures about a
possible sale of Chicago-based aircraft, as well as the gates it leases at
Midway. Gates include passenger boarding areas.
   The city's Department of Aviation said the Midway gates were city proper=
ty
and that it could reclaim them if ATA reduced or ceased operations at the
airport.
   Aaron Gellman, a professor in Northwestern University's Transportation
Center, said several other airlines might be interested in taking over the
Midway gates, but that pulling out of Midway would make little sense for
ATA.
   "I've never known a carrier to walk away from a principal traffic
generator," he said. "It's very difficult for me to see how that could
work, how ATA could survive it."
   ATA has 7,900 employees, including 2,500 in Indianapolis.
   On Wednesday, shares of ATA's parent company, ATA Holdings Corp., closed
down 6 cents at $2.65 on the Nasdaq Stock Market.

Copyright 2004 AP