Re: The new United service (United P.S)

----- Original Message -----
From: "David W. levine" <dwl@xxxxxxxxx>

Sent: Tuesday, August 03, 2004 11:43 AM

<snip>

> 110v outlets? Really? Wowzers. Yeah, look at that, it is on
> the webpage. I thought the FAA and NTSB were pretty
> hostile to 110V outlets for passengers.  It is a *lot* more
> exciting when a 110V outlet gets shorted out than a 12V
> one, and you can cause a lot more trouble with 110
> than you can with 12.
<snip>
There may not be too much difference.  If you need 50 watts, the 110 volt
circuit can be fused for less than 1 ampere, while a 12V circuit will have
to allow more than 5 amps before the breaker opens or the fuse blows.  You
will get a lot more fireworks if you drop a wrench across a 12 volt auto
battery (although they're making them now so the terminals aren't exposed as
they were in the "good old days") than if you manage to do the same on 110
volts.   The latter can kill you, though, and the former can't, not by
electrical shock, anyway.

Gerry
http://www.pbase.com/gfoley9999/
http://foley.ultinet.net/~gerry/aerial/aerial.html