Re: Check this out on FrontPageMag.com!

--Boundary_(ID_6vh54NuPxGZeqCkNHjVfSQ)

On Jul 16, 2004, at 11:15 AM, damiross2@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> ...To allow this group of 14 people to board the aircraft without =20
> additional screening is criminal.  And who do we have to thank for =20
> this?  An idiot named Norman Mineta.  He has no business being in =20
> charge of the Department of Transportation.  President Bush was wrong =20=

> in keeping him as the Secreatary of Transportation.

You're entitled to your opinions, but your statements should at least =20=

be accurate.

http://www.dot.gov/affairs/mineta.htm
Norman Y. Mineta became the 14th U.S. Secretary of Transportation on =20
January 25, 2001.
  In nominating him, President Bush said, =93Norm made a reputation in =
the =20
halls of Congress as someone who understands that a sound =20
infrastructure in America will lead to economic opportunity for all =20
Americans.=94
  Prior to joining President Bush=92s administration as Secretary of =20
Transportation, Mineta served as U.S. Secretary of Commerce under =20
President Clinton, becoming the first Asian Pacific American to serve =20=

in the cabinet. He is the first Secretary of Transportation to have =20
previously served in a cabinet position. Prior to joining the Commerce =20=

Department, he was a vice president at Lockheed Martin Corporation.

FYI, Rod Slater was Transportation Secretary before Norm Mineta.
http://isweb.tasc.dot.gov/Historian/bios.htm
Rodney Earl Slater (February 14, 1997-January 20, 2001)
  Appointed by William J. Clinton

Maybe you meant, but didn't say, why Bush kept him - after something. =20=

Like after 9/11?

My read of the Aviation and Transportation Security Act (ATSA) Public =20=

Law 107-71 tells me the TSA took over screening and security from DOT =20=

(on November 19, 2001), so I'm not sure why you blame Mineta for not =20
requiring additional screening on June 29, 2004. I don't think any =20
Secretary of Transportation could require that right now on his or her =20=

own - only the head of Homeland Security or official within TSA.
http://www.tsa.gov/public/interweb/assetlibrary/=20
Aviation_and_Transportation_Security_Act_ATSA_Public_Law_107_1771.pdf

I'm not a government employee, by the way, and have no vested interest =20=

in Mineta or Bush, for that matter.=20=

--Boundary_(ID_6vh54NuPxGZeqCkNHjVfSQ)