Delta's Future

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2001957955_delta=
17.html

=20

ATLANTA - The chief executive of Delta Air Lines gave a bleak outlook =
yesterday of the carrier's ability to increase revenue, and said that =
means getting deep wage cuts from pilots is even more crucial to its =
survival.=20

In a speech at an investor conference in New York, CEO Gerald Grinstein =
said low-fare rival AirTran Airways has, for the most part, been able to =
call the shots on ticket prices in many of the markets in which the two =
compete.=20

"We have no pricing power and yields are continuing to erode," said =
Grinstein, a longtime Pacific Northwest power figure and president of =
the University of Washington Board of Regents who took over as CEO after =
Leo Mullin resigned in November. He added, "We have to learn to live in =
the revenue environment that we're in."=20

That makes getting wage cuts from its pilots "a crucial first step" in =
Delta's turnaround plan, Grinstein said. He reiterated that the =
Atlanta-based company would consider bankruptcy only as a last resort.=20

"=C0 la Mark Twain, the reports of our death are premature," Grinstein =
said.=20

But, he said, "Delta, as it's now structured, cannot survive in the =
marketplace. It has to completely change the way it does business."=20

Some analysts believe Delta, the nation's third-largest airline after =
American and United, has only six to nine more months to get the wage =
cuts or face bankruptcy. The airline has lost more than $3 billion and =
laid off 16,000 employees in the past three years.=20

"If they don't have a deal by the first quarter of next year, then it's =
going to be all over," said Ray Neidl, an analyst with Blaylock & =
Partners in New York.=20

Delta is asking for a 30 percent wage cut from pilots, who are offering =
to take a 9 percent cut and to forego a 4.5 percent raise they received =
in May. Delta's pilots make between $100,000 and $300,000 a year, =
according to the company.=20

Formal negotiations between the two sides have been stalled since late =
January.=20

Grinstein said he hopes Delta's pilots will decide "that it is time to =
re-engage and get the discussions back on track."=20

The chairman of the pilots union's executive committee, John Malone, =
suggested in an open letter to all Delta employees last week that =
management has engaged in "divide and conquer" tactics as part of its =
negotiating strategy. He said the union is willing to negotiate, but it =
believes the company must develop a business plan that involves more =
than just cutting wages.=20

Grinstein told analysts at yesterday's Merrill Lynch Global =
Transportation Conference that Delta is working on a top-to-bottom =
review that should be complete in August. He did not offer any new =
details of his plan to return the company to profitability.=20

"We are looking at everything we do, every plane type we fly, every hub, =
every marketplace," Grinstein said. "Any speculation now about what is =
going to come out of that is truly conjecture. We are working through =
that very methodically."=20

Shares of Delta fell 24 cents, or 4 percent, to close at $5.71 on the =
New York Stock Exchange.=20

=20