Re: Plane Face-Off Shuts Narita Runway

Mike,

What large waterway?  Narita is in the middle of the Japanese country side!
I suspect the aircraft where just too close to the main runway to keep it
open.

Peter Schneider
ATL

|         |           "Michael A.      |
|         |           Burris"          |
|         |           <yyz_02140@yahoo.|
|         |           com>             |
|         |           Sent by: The     |
|         |           Airline List     |
|         |           <AIRLINE@LISTSERV|
|         |           .CUNY.EDU>       |
|         |           06/16/2004 03:48 |
|         |           The Airline List;|
|         |           "Michael A.      |
|         |           Burris"          |
  |                                                                                                              |
  |       To:       AIRLINE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                                                                    |
  |       cc:                                                                                                    |
  |       Subject:  Re: Plane Face-Off Shuts Narita Runway                                                       |

David / All:

That is possible.  Even though it is a new airport, it
is still on a relatively thin strip of land in the
middle of a large waterway.  Yet, I would think ground
control/ ATC should know the size of all a/c in
movement on the field at any time and send them to the
right places at the right time?

Unfortunately, someone made a mistake.  Luckily, there
were no fatalities.

Mike Burris
Cambridge, Mass