Plane Face-Off Shuts Narita Runway

My question is why this would necessitate the shutting down of the runway if
the incursion took place on a taxiway?

Mark

Tokyo's Narita Airport had to close one of its two runways for nearly an hour
on Wednesday after an incoming plane ended up facing an outgoing aircraft on
the taxiway, airport officials said.

The two planes -- a KLM Royal Dutch Airlines passenger aircraft arriving from
Amsterdam and a South Korean Asiana Airlines plane preparing to depart for
Incheon -- were taxiing towards each other, the officials said. They did not
collide.

The runway at Japan's main international air hub just north of Tokyo was
closed for about an hour while workers removed the planes, they said.

"We still don't know why it happened. Investigations are under way," one of
the officials said.