Re: SFGate: Virgin to buy Airbus airplanes/Branson names carrier; executive lineup announced

Virgin America is American owned!  Richard Branson only has a 49% stake in
the company.

|         |           damiross2@comcast|
|         |           .net             |
|         |           Sent by: The     |
|         |           Airline List     |
|         |           <AIRLINE@LISTSERV|
|         |           .CUNY.EDU>       |
|         |           06/16/2004 10:53 |
|         |           The Airline List;|
|         |           damiross2        |
  |                                                                                                              |
  |       To:       AIRLINE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                                                                    |
  |       cc:                                                                                                    |
  |       Subject:  Re: SFGate: Virgin to buy Airbus airplanes/Branson names carrier; executive lineup announced |

Not only buy American but be owned by an American.  I don't think an
airline in the USA should be owned by a foreigner, at least not voting
stock.

David R

> The fact that this action by Richard Branson to buy Airbus instead of
Boeing

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=3D/chronicle/archive/2004/06=

> /16/BUGQU76KBE1.DTL
> Wednesday, June 16, 2004 (SF Chronicle)
> Virgin to buy Airbus airplanes/Branson names carrier; executive lineup
anno=
> unced
> George Raine, Chronicle Staff Writer
>

>    Richard Branson has chosen the name Virgin America for his new low-
cost
> airline and plans to acquire up to 105 new Airbus planes for the carrier,
> whose operations are to be based in San Francisco.
>    The airline will have a management team made up entirely of U.S.
citizen=
> s,
> said Fred Reid, head of the nascent operation, during an appearance
> Tuesday at the International Aviation Club in Washington.
>    Reid said the airline has entered into agreements to acquire and lease
up
> to 105 narrow-body Airbus aircraft. The move is a blow to Boeing, which
> had competed with Europe's Airbus for Virgin America's business. The
> planes are A319s, which, according to Airbus usually carry 124
passengers,
> and A320s, which carry about 150 passengers.
>    The full picture of Virgin America -- what routes it will fly, where
it
> will compete with other carriers, its business plan -- has yet to emerge.
>    "All I can say is it is in process," company spokeswoman Stacy Geagan
sa=
> id
> when asked about the fund-raising effort under way at Virgin America.
>    The carrier, which still only exists on paper, said on June 4 that it
wi=
> ll
> have its operational base in San Francisco, where some 1,500 flight
> attendants, pilots, maintenance technicians and other employees will be
> hired and based. The airline's administrative headquarters will be in New
> York, where it will have about 300 workers.
>    The decision came after months of waiting as Virgin examined its
options.
> Boston and the area around Dulles International Airport in Virginia were
> also under consideration. It was a significant win for San Francisco, but
> it would be incorrect to assume that San Francisco International Airport
> will become a Virgin America hub, Geagan said.
>    "We have not announced airports (to be used) and it is not our
intention
> to create a hub operation," Geagan said.
>    She said the company "is in the process of working with different
realto=
> rs
> on some very attractive locations" for the operational base.
>    SFO spokeswoman Kandace Bender said discussions with Virgin America
are
> taking place concerning options at the airport. Possibilities include
> using the space that Virgin Atlantic, the Virgin Group's international
> carrier, uses at the new International Terminal or perhaps using the old,
> vacant international terminal.
>    Reid said the new aircraft being purchased and leased will form the
> backbone of the carrier's fleet, which is scheduled to begin service in
> 2005.
>    "This is a major step toward realizing our goal of launching a truly
21st
> century alternative airline here in the United States," he said.
>    He said Virgin America has a firm order for 18 new aircraft -- 11
A319s
> and seven A320s -- with 15 additional new A320s being leased from GE
> Capital Aviation Services. He said the agreement with Airbus has options
> for up to 72 additional aircraft. All will be equipped with engines from
> CMF International, a 50/50 joint company between Snecma Moteurs of France
> and GE.
>    U.S. law says that Branson, because he is not a U.S. citizen, cannot
own
> more than 49 percent of the carrier or control more than 25 percent of
its
> voting stock.
>    The management team announced on Tuesday includes Joe Houghton, the
chief
> pilot, who was the former assistant chief pilot for US Airways; Terry
> Rendleman, senior vice president of technical operations, who was a
> manager at United Airlines and Northwest Airlines; and Todd Pawlowski,
> vice president of airports and customer service, from Virgin Atlantic.
>    Henry Harteveldt, the principal airline analyst at Forrester Research
in
> San Francisco, noted that Airbus beat out Boeing at a time when the
dollar
> is weak. "That tells me Airbus is buying the business," meaning the
> company may have offered Virgin America an attractive purchase price and
> "figured out ways to do so in a manner that accounts for the weakness of
> the dollar."
>    He added that Tuesday's announcement was of particular interest to
JetBl=
> Copyright 2004 SF Chronicle

The contents of this e-mail message (including any attachments hereto) are
confidential to and are intended to be conveyed for the use of the
recipient to whom it is addressed only. If you receive this transmission in
error, please notify the sender of this immediately and delete the message
from your system. Any distribution, reproduction or use of this message by
someone other than recipient is not authorized and may be unlawful.